Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!! ~ School Fun

 valentines day

Holidays at our house always start with some photos.

valentines day-2

I'm not big on Valentine's Day.  I really think of it as more for kids and people who are dating.  For many years in the first part of our marriage Dan was always out of town on Valentine's Day, so we just didn't celebrate it.  My anniversary is much more meaningful.  However, I think it's really fun for the kids and I enjoy celebrating it with them and discovering how many different things I can cut into hearts with my cookie cutters. :)

valentines day-3

Not to mention, it's an excuse to take cute pictures like this.

valentines day-4

Matthew bolted into the house after the first couple of photos out of fear of being seen by a classmate on their way to school.   (I am adjusting to this new phase...he's definitely acting like a "'tweener" these days).  But Andrew and Kitti were game.

valentines day-5

Andrew often will ask to "leave my kiss on." This photo was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest.  It suits Andrew perfectly.  He is so affectionate and loves to be loved on as well.

valentines day-6

Kaitlin was so excited to take her valentine cookies to her friends.  She is all about a holiday and treats.

valentines day-7

She made this cute little bag to hold her Valentines.

katie valentines day-4

This is what Kaitlin's little Valentine cookies looked like when it went to school for her teacher and friends.

When she got home, the one I pulled out of her bag looked like this....

katie valentines day-2-2

I laughed so hard when I saw this.
That's life!

After I dropped Kaitlin off at pre-school I ran back to the boys' school to help in Andrew's classroom.  I actually sat in the hall and sharpened pencils for an hour and a half!  But was happy to help ~ it actually gave me time to think a bit.  Andrew was "lunch helper" that day and happened to walk by as they were taking the lunch boxes to the cafeteria and so I snapped his photo.

katie valentines day-2

I had been busy preparing for Kaitlin's party and so I was scrambling to get ready for Valentine's Day.  I had intended to go home and use the afternoon to get ready but andrew's teacher asked if I'd mind coming back for the party that afternoon.  I said, "Sure!"  And after going home to get Kitti and feed her lunch we headed back to school.

katie valentines day-3

On a side note....these were Andrew's Valentines.  Matthew chose some store bought ones, but after seeing Andrew's thought he might like some homemade ones next year as well.  Andrew & Matthew helped me assemble these.  It's fun that they are getting old enough to do that!  Matthew is especially great at helping with things like this.  He loves to create.

When we arrived at the classroom the little children just swarmed around Kaitlin.  Oh my, they loved her.  And Andrew was so happy to have her there and so sweet.

valentines day-8

I had my camera on the wrong settings so this isn't a good photo, but I caught this as Kaitlin sat down by Andrew.  She was SO happy to be there.  She LOVES to go to school with him.

valentines day-36

Andrew moved Kitti's chair next to his and he was so sweet with her.  He kept petting her cheek.  When I returned home that afternoon I received an email from Andrew's teacher telling me how fun it was to see how sweet Andrew was to Kaitlin.  I was glad she could see this side of Andrew as I know she sees him during a time that he struggles most, so it was great for her to see what we see at home every day.  She has reassured me though, that she sees this side of Andrew in school as well.  I am glad for that.

valentines day-37

The kids made hearts to hold their valentine's..and then delivered them to their friends.

valentines day-10

valentines day-38

The kids brought red and purple fruit for their Valentine celebration.  (Dan cut all those little watermelon hearts...what a guy!)  I plated the food for the teacher..I was the only parent there and was so glad I went back to help.  I was thinking to myself, "how would she have done this without me?"  And the teacher walked up and said, "Thank you so much...I don't know how I would have done all of this without you!"  I'm sure she would have found a way, but it wouldn't have been easy.  My hat is off to teachers!

Meanwhile, Kaitlin made herself quite at home.  She was visiting with the other children, and before I knew it had gone out to recess with them while I was talking to the teacher!

 valentines day-11

valentines day-12

Andrew and his sweet friends, Aiden.  While I was there this day, the children had their behavior reports out and I said, "Aiden, look at all of those stars!  Good job!"  he replied,
"I've never had a 'no' or a 'fox stop.'"  (He is very sweet and said this not in a bragging tone, but in a I-can't-imagine-ever-breaking-a-rule sort of way).  And Andrew looked at him and said very matter of factly,
"Yeah, I'm taking medicine so I can be better."

:)

I've since told andrew that it doesn't matter if he gets 100 "Fox Stops."  He's a good boy because his heart is good.  We all make mistakes!

valentines day-14

We headed out to recess where Kaitlin was quite the rock star.  She constantly had a crowd around her and she loved every minute.

I took a photo of Andrew and some of his friends...

valentines day-13

I was actually really glad that I had gone out on the playground on this particular day.  It gave me some important insights into Andrew's life. 

 valentines day-18

The kids were lined up to go in and I was just laughing at Kaitlin surrounded by these kids.  She was so confident and just fit right in.  And her height makes her look like she could pass as a first grader! I love how Andrew is just watching and smiling.

After this we headed home...and I'll finish up the last part of the day in my next post!

No comments: