Life is happening faster than I can record it these days. This time of year is filled with milestones, and events that I'd love to record...if only there was time!
Matthew woke us up at 7am on his birthday (remember, we had gone to bed around 2am the night before after Mike's big bash?) So his excited, smiling face was a very sweet sight....it would have been nice to have seen it a couple of hours later. :) I wished him a happy birthday, gathered my energy and rolled out of bed for birthday celebration #3!
The nephews & cousins were all up and so happy to be together. Even after the day was over, Matthew said that having Isaiah there was his favorite part. I could tell he was really happy so I called Michelle and told her not to rush over and get the boys.
Mom was still there so we opened gifts after Isaiah & Noah left so that she could see Matthew open her gifts. Matthew had seen his presents wrapped in my room and reprimanded me for buying "too many gifts." It was mostly a lot of little things.
Matthew was very sweet about his gifts. He was happy and gracious even about receiving pajamas. It was nice to see.
He was especially excited to receive his planner that he asked for so that he can "plan things." I don't know how he ever managed without it. His busy schedule, and all.
He loved his little ipod and has listened to it a LOT. Dan pre-loaded it with a mix of music. Muppets, Classic rock, Disney, Vacation Bible School music, Christmas Music...sentimental favorites like, "Return to Pooh Corner" and even a favorite by Black Keys.
I think it will be fun to look back and see what Matthew received at the age of 9. We introduced some classics to him: The Rubik's cube, and Clue (Dan and I had a great time playing with him), Narnia: Prince Caspian DVD ~ we've read the book and haven't seen the movie yet. Mom gave him The Indian & The Cupboard Book and movie, and the big Mario remote controlled car that the kids have been chasing each other with. He wanted Mancala, and Pokemon cards....his "big" gift was an ipod suffle and then we gave him gift cards...one to the Lego Store so that he can go out with Dan and have a date and go pick out a new lego set, and a gift card to Barns & Noble ~ when it'll be my turn to have some one on one time and pick out a new book. Matthew loves the book store. He loves one on one time and so I thought it would be fun to combine a gift and a date.
The truth is, I love to buy my kids gifts. I have to work hard not to over do it.
Nana left after we opened gifts (thanks so much, Mom for making the trip and watching the kids for us!!!) so we took a quick picture and then headed off to play Miniature golf which was what Matthew wanted to do for his birthday.
This little scene reminded me of when I went miniature golfing with my Dad when I was pregnant with Andrew. I have a photo of him bent over Matthew just like this, teaching him how to golf.
It was quite chilly, but we still had a great time.
I got a hole in one. And I might have won too.
And I might have had a little fun with that. Being that Dan is so competitive and all and not always the most gracious winner. :)
We met up with Brandi at Red Robin for our traditional birthday dinner. Matthew was a good sport with the singing. It was nice having Brandi there, but it was also where Andrew and Kaitlin hit the wall and melted down.
We headed home. It's funny how spirits can change when the word "cupcake" is uttered.
All smiles!!
It was really fun having Brandi there. I took full advantage and we walked the house and talked of all things decorating. We stayed up late talking & catching up, it was wonderful.
Even though it was Matthew's day, it felt special for me too.
Happy Birthday, Matty!!
No comments:
Post a Comment