It is hard to sit and write these letters and not utter a lot of cliche's. But there are just things that are so universal to parenting, that I can't help but to find myself thinking and feeling the same things that millions before have said and thought..."it goes so fast"...and the bitter sweetness of the joy of growth and new experiences mixed with the nostalgia of times that have passed.
I have written these letters to you since you were one year old and it is a delight to sit and reflect on who you are at each age. I always feel nostalgic at your birthday and can't help but to look back and thinking about our beginnings with you. I remember clearly taking the above photo. And never could I have imagined what was waiting inside of you. The boy you would grow to be. The happiness you would bring my heart.
This was one of the first mornings that Andrew was home with us. You came downstairs and peeked inside as Andrew lay napping in the bassinet. Curious about that little baby we brought home. Your bond was nearly instant.
You were close from the very start. This photo was taken while I was getting ready one morning in the bathroom. I laid Andrew down on some pillows next to me. You would often lay your head on Andrew and snuggle him while you sucked your thumb. It was so sweet and so like the two of you. He was the happy recipient of your snuggles and never protested. You are still close, with your different personalities complementing each other.
This photo is SO you. It was taken on the 4th of July as we were setting off some small fireworks in the street. You were barely 3 and you were stressed about the fireworks and were so cute as you tried to protect Andrew. You would run and pull him into the garage with you. You have always been cautious and conscientious. You have always been a little old soul.
And yet, at the age of 9 you are much more social than I would have anticipated in your early years. You often get in trouble for talking too much at school. We’re working on it and you are improving but it’s hard for you. (I totally understand)!
You have a
passion for learning and when you learn something new your face lights up and
you wear such a joyful expression.
You really want to go to
Washington DC and “learn about everything there.” You’ve been asking to go since first grade.
You love legos, Pokemon, Harry Potter, and playing the
wii. You enjoy swimming, golf,
baseball and Tae Kwon Do.

This year you decided you didn’t want to play soccer anymore, which wasn’t a surprise to me. You aren't physically aggressive. You are much more competitive individually and prefer more structured sports. School continues to come very easily for you. You have a great memory but also can learn something and apply it in other areas. Your little mind is always going (your questions can sometimes be tiring after a while!) & you are a very bright little boy.
This year you decided you didn’t want to play soccer anymore, which wasn’t a surprise to me. You aren't physically aggressive. You are much more competitive individually and prefer more structured sports. School continues to come very easily for you. You have a great memory but also can learn something and apply it in other areas. Your little mind is always going (your questions can sometimes be tiring after a while!) & you are a very bright little boy.
You are also much less serious than you used to be. It’s been fun seeing this silly &
playful side of you come out. I
love to hear you laughing with Andrew.
And you often relay stories and ideas with such excitement. You are a passionate little boy.
You are a hard worker and easily & quickly follow
through with requests. If I tell
you “You may not leave your room until 7am and when you do you need to be
dressed and your bed needs to be made” you simply do it. You are very easy to parent in that
regard. And always have been. You want to please us. Overall, you are easy to parent because
you do listen to what we say and really do try to change. I am so grateful for this personality
trait! (But no one is perfect ~ your challenge is that you are sometimes less tolerant of Andrew & Kaitlin not knowing or understanding things that you do. We're working on having grace for others. You are also starting to argue a little and sometimes think you might know more than me & Daddy!)
You and Andrew are still very close and love to play
together. Your friendship is an answer to prayer for me. I love seeing your closeness and the fun you have
together. You get into far more
trouble for laughing and being silly and not doing what you are supposed to
(usually at bedtime) than for fighting.
I hope you are always like this.
You are learning how to relate to Kaitlin and I’ve really
seen you try more to do this in last year. With your age difference it doesn’t come as easily, but we
talk about it and you've put forth an effort. She
will occasionally ask for you to read her her bed time story and it’s so sweet
seeing the two of you in her chair.
You talk so sweetly to her, and she eats it up. You'll even rock with her and tuck her in.
While you are growing up, you still want to be close to
me. You will still seek me out in
the house and say, “I just want to be with you, Mama.” You will ask for me to lay with you at
night and to play games with you.
You love reading books together at night. I love it too.
I asked your Daddy what he’d like to say about you at the
age of 9 & what he likes to do with you and he said that he has enjoyed
coaching you in baseball this year.
He has also loved having you in church with us as you like being with us
in “big church.” He
has enjoyed seeing your growth in your faith this year. You had two big milestones ~ receiving
your bible at church and taking first communion. It was clear to us that these things were meaningful to you
as well. Not just something you just
did because you’re the right age.
You were ready and asking for communion, and you were very proud of your
bible.

Daddy also loves how when you find an interest you completely immerse yourself in it and have to learn all you can about it. It’s fun to see you so passionate about things. It’s contagious. You have been like this since you were 3. Learning all you can about something then moving on to the next thing.
Daddy also loves how when you find an interest you completely immerse yourself in it and have to learn all you can about it. It’s fun to see you so passionate about things. It’s contagious. You have been like this since you were 3. Learning all you can about something then moving on to the next thing.
One of the things you've done since you were little is make your own toys. If there is something you wanted that you didn't have or I wouldn't buy (like an Angry Birds t-shirt) you would make your own. In the above photo, you found a picture online, printed it, colored it and taped it to a shirt. :)
You are developing social graces and I’m noticing that you’re starting to look adults in the eye and smile when you speak to them. Not all the time ~ sometimes you’re busy and distracted with friends, but it’s something I’m seeing evolving in you and it makes me really happy.
Nine is the halfway mark to 18. Manhood. Your Daddy and I talk about that and feel the weight of responsibility of what we need (& want) to accomplish with you in the next 9 years and we also feel a little sad and sentimental that we’re halfway there. But at the same time I’ve loved these first 9 years with you and I look forward to a lot more joy in the next 9 as we continue to watch you grow and at the same time enjoy our relationship evolving, as we are able to share deeper conversations with you. Because while there’s an awesome responsibility to parenting, there is even more reward when I look at you and see the wonderful person you are growing into.
You are a precious gift, Matthew Franklin. I see glimpses of Grandpapa in
you and it brings such joy to my heart & I am certain that you were an intended blessing. But I also see a lot of just you.
Wonderful, you. You have so
many gifts and talents and I’m excited to see you grow in them. I’m delighted to be your Mom. I am so lucky to get to kiss that
freckled little nose and see you smile at me in the way that little boys only
smile at their mommas. I love to peek in on you at night as you lay sleeping and see your face, so peaceful. I can't help but to touch your head and whisper a prayer for you, for your future, and thank God
for the gift of your life & your heart.
This year you had a lot of new experiences and adventures. To name a few...

Bull riding!

The Timbers game.

Great Wolf Lodge.

Riding a zip line!

Experiencing Las Vegas!

Using power tools.

Meeting long distance cousins for the first time since infancy.
I can't wait for lots of fun adventures with you in the next year!
This year you had a lot of new experiences and adventures. To name a few...
Bull riding!
The Timbers game.
Great Wolf Lodge.
Riding a zip line!
Experiencing Las Vegas!
Using power tools.
Meeting long distance cousins for the first time since infancy.
I can't wait for lots of fun adventures with you in the next year!
Happy Birthday, precious boy.
Love,
mama
mama
2 comments:
This is such a sweet heartfelt letter. I know Matthew will one day read it - and be touched - knowing just how much his mama loved him. This is just beautiful.
(And thanks, by the way, for making me cry first thing on a Monday morning..) Ha ha!
I feel like we need to catch up - like it's been a million years - but am thankful you are soooo good about keeping up your blog - as I'm obviously terrible with mine.
Hugs to you as you celebrate NINE years as a mother!
Fabulous birthday bash! This is a big year ... the last of the single digits :) Love the photos documenting his growth through the years ~ sweet baby to such a handsome young man!!!
Jo
Post a Comment