Monday, January 17, 2011

Project Life

I just had to share.

I am loving my "Project Life" project.  If you haven't seen it, you can see it by clicking on the photo of the kids in the right hand sidebar of my blog under "Project 365."

I had a friend ask about it, and I thought I'd explain it a little better.

I've seen people doing "Project 365" on other blogs and I think most people use that to improve their photography skills.  Which would be fun to do, and I'd probably do that if I wasn't focused on recording memories for the kids right now (and this will probably change a little when they're all in school).  But for me, my purpose is to preserve family memories, and our life in 2011.

My friend Diane, did this project last year and I loved seeing her photos, reading the short blurb, knowing what was going on in their life ~ despite the distance between us.  The big things, like losing a pet, down to the little things like what Meg & Jake had for dinner.  :)  I knew I wanted to do the same and was excited to start this year.

Sometimes I have fun and focus on my photography hobby and try to do a nice photo,

IMG_9646_2
and other times, I'm sprinting for my camera to take a snapshot of something going on in the moment that I want to remember.

IMG_9828

And sometimes I might take a random shot of items or things in our life, just to preserve a little about life in 2011.

IMG_9938
Then I write something very short about it (because it has to fit on a little journaling card in the scrapbook) and it's done!  I'm finding that I'm not spending as much time blogging because of it, and yet my intended purpose of blogging is fulfilled.  I love it.

Then I copy the photo and put it in a "Project Life" folder on my desktop so I can order the photos easily and just slip them into the scrapbook!   So easy.  It feels like a manageable way to streamline how I scrapbook and preserve memories for the kids.

And I don't mean to sound like an infomercial.  You know that with my following of 5 people, I am not being approached to endorse products.  :)  But if you're interested in learning more about it you can see more here.   But I think it's a great project even without the "kit."

It fits perfectly in with my theme of "simplifying" this year.

PS.  On a side note:  we're all healthy again!!  And thankfully, Matthew and I never got it.  The kids are enjoying the day off for MLK and then back to school tomorrow!

Oh, and I never thanked you for your comments/emails/calls regarding the lamp.  I so appreciated the honest feedback.  I'm looking into a bigger lamp shade, and right now the lamp is in our bedroom....I'm not ready to give up yet.  :)  I'll let you know when it finds a permanent home ~ I'm determined to find a way to make it work in the living room!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Hello Kathy!

I've been wondering how the Zeamer house is fairing. So happy to hear the germ bugs have left!

Project Life... I too could sound like a saleslady for Becky Higgins as I'm telling all my friends about this neat idea. Most of them look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them it's about taking a picture every day. Yep. Every day. One of my favorite things is to upload pics and get one step closer to completing the year.

I'm glad you're enjoying this little project. I think you'll be happy when it's over and you have a whole year's worth of memories in one scrapbook/album. :-)

Having all those miles inbetween us isn't ideal but at least with our POTDs we can see what each other is up to. I like that!

Hugs!
~Diane