I attended a Mom's group with a friend at her church when Matthew was a baby. The Pastor's wife shared how they would stop for a candy bar on the way home from church because they wanted a sweet association with church. I think she might haven even said "God's word is sweet."
That has always stuck with me. We now give the kids a little piece of candy from a basket at church after Sunday School. (Provided there was a good report. Which isn't always the case. :) ) Because I too want them to have a sweet association with church.
I've been doing memory verses with Andrew during school, but I wanted Matthew (and to a small extent, Kaitlin) to participate. So we're starting to do memory verses with the kids at dinner time. I made a cute little tag for a jar and put candy (and fruit snacks ~ which were abolished from our house when the boys were toddlers and throwing fits over them) in it. Then I printed out the verse and put it up in the kitchen. Matthew memorized the verse quite easily. (They have to be able to remember it over night and recite it the next night at dinner). He got to choose his first treat from the jar ~ fruit snacks ~ tonight.
Andrew was in tears because he didn't remember his.
But we'll work on it, and because he had to try a little harder it'll be especially sweet when he gets it!
1 comment:
Adorable!! What a wonderful idea! I often went to Dairy Queen after church with my grandma...still remember it like yesterday and will always associate it with going to church with my grandma.
Post a Comment