Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First Day of Summer

first day summer

Last year we celebrated the last day of school/last day of summer with our good friends, Katie, Kyle and their kiddos.  We decided to do it again this year.  We had planned on S'Mores outside and with rain in the forecast we postponed and had a first day of summer celebration instead.

The kids woke up that morning to some gifts on the table.  Just some fun things for summer....

first day summer-3

Kitti loves the ribbon.  She'd be happy with just that.

first day summer-5

But was delighted over new art supplies!  My kids LOVE to craft.  They were in need of new supplies, so I filled a box with some art supplies and wrapped up a ream of paper, which they get really excited about.

(I find anything with wrapping paper makes the kids happy and excited).

first day summer-6

I also gave them some lawn darts, which I remember playing as a kid.  Except they were the real ones, not the safe version sold now.  However, with the rain outside, the blunt ends did allow us to play inside!

first day summer-7

We had hoped to eat outside, alas the weather did not cooperate.  So we set everything inside instead.

first day summer-8

first day summer-9

first day summer-10

Love these happy faces.

first day summer-11

We attempted an adult table so we could enjoy our conversation.

first day summer-12

We were happy to be able to go outside for S'Mores after dinner.  Which is always a fun, gooey mess.  Katie's kids thought I invented S'Mores after they had it with us last year.  Love that.  Summer kick off with S'mores has become a bit of a tradition which I probably wouldn't have started had I known about Katie's distaste for campfire smoke!  But the kids love it and have fun with it.

first day summer-13

Katie was a good sport though and I gave her my jacket to try to keep the smell out of her clothes as she was heading into work later that night.

first day summer-14

Our friendship with Kyle and Katie has been easy from the start and it's a bonus that we have kids the same age!   It's so nice when fast friendships form.  Katie and I have a lot in common (even being Chemistry majors!) and Kyle and Dan can commiserate on what it is like having to live with us and our antics.  :)  We always enjoy our time together with these dear friends.  It was great getting to kick off summer vacation with them!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Such a fun evening and a wonderful way to kick off summer! Thank you!!! I apologize for my high maintenance anti-campfire-ness...I'm happy to continue our s'mores tradition, seeing those happy faces makes the smoke bearable.

Jo said...

I'm ready this as I'm preparing to wrap up summer and head back to school :( Looks like everyone had fun kicking off the season!

Jo