Saturday, August 31, 2013

8th Birthday Boot Camp ~ Family & Decorations

boot camp3-3

Andrew requested an "Army Guy" party for his 8th birthday.  I admit, I'm not a Camo kind of a girl, but this ended up being one of my favorite birthday parties.  It was just such a fun party being outside and the army activities were great.

boot camp-2

But before we get to that, our obligatory family shots.

boot camp3-4

So different.  So sweet.  I love that they continue to be close and while they occasionally fight, most of the time they are great friends and crack each other up.  They have a great foundation for a lifelong friendship.

boot camp3-5

I am so thankful for my little family.

boot camp3-6

Unfortunately, Dan's parents couldn't make it this particular weekend, (which we completely understood) but were happy to have Nana was on hand.

boot camp3-7

We are lucky parents.  Love how Andrew is holding my hand.  That's my boy.

boot camp3-8

One of my favorites from the day.

boot camp3-9

We went to a local park early in the morning of Andrew's birthday (You can't reserve this one in advance) and set up some tables in the covered picnic area.

boot camp3-2

I took this before Dan arrived with the balloons.  Thank you to Katie who let me borrow her great burlap backdrop!

The thing I was nervous about was the cake.  I had no idea how I was going to do a camo cake with my limited cake decorating skills.  But I think I pulled it off okay.  Andrew was thrilled with it and that's all that matters!

  boot camp-5

boot camp3

The inside of the cake was camo too!  (You can see by the frosting, the sun came out and everything was starting to melt).

 boot camp-3

The dollar store carries packets of army guys that became cupcake toppers and party favors.  I turned over cake pans and trimmed them with ribbon to become cupcake stands.

 boot camp-4

These picture frames were from Andrew's Cowboy party and worked great to display photos of Dan's Dad (a Vetran, though this is in his boyscout uniform.  Close enough for our purposes, right? :) )

 boot camp-7

And of course the birthday boy, decked out in his fatigues that were a gift to him from dear friends.  (Thank you Carl, and Jeannie!)  I made star rice Krispie treats, and andrew had lots of army toys that I scattered around.

 boot camp-8

My handsome Dad.  Korean War Vetran.

 boot camp2-3

I made Star flag and camouflage "A's" for our sugar cookies. 

 boot camp2-4

 boot camp-6

I found an Army looking font and made little straw name tags.

 boot camp2-2

 boot camp-10

And also favor bags with "dog tags" for a thank you.

 boot camp-9

My favorite thing is always the photo banner.  It takes some time to sort through my pictures and find one from each month, but the exercise inevitably puts a smile on my face and I can't help but to feel blessed by the memories of the past year.

 boot camp

Dan brought a "Lily pad" home from the mill for me to use as a cake stand.

 boot camp2

And the kids had their meal rations for lunch! 

Up next...the FUN!


No comments: