Friday, June 14, 2013

Tears Of Joy Puppet Show

Each year the children raise money for their "Artist In Residence" program by doing "Run for the Arts."  One of the programs that was funded through this program this last year was the Tears of Joy Puppet theater.  All of the children in the school made puppets and put on puppet shows with a Native American theme to them.

Andrew's was on a Friday and so Dan was able to attend which was great.  He works so far away that he is often unable to come to things like this.

puppets-4

Andrew's class was so cute.

puppets

puppets-2

puppets-3

Andrew had recess right after his performance and he asked if we would go with him.  Kaitlin LOVES to go to recess with the big kids, and we were happy to stay on.

Andrew has been written up quite a bit on the playground this year.  Probably because he does things like this.

puppets-5

Yeah, that's not allowed.

Which was confirmed by a little girl that was watching.

However, I felt like some of the things he was being written up for were a little ridiculous.
And he was starting to feel badly about it.
I might have gone out one day and talked nicely to the recess teachers....(I really was nice, but I did politely share my thoughts on the matter.  And they are really wonderful ladies who take their job very seriously and did listen to what I had to say).   Andrew's teacher got a kick out of it.  I don't think she's had a parent do that before... I never would have done something like that prior to having kids, but being a mother changes everything.  My concern about what others think of me pales next to my concern for my child.  Andrew will have to fight his own battles some day.  But for now, I'm trying to make his path just a little easier.

Coincidentally, Andrew hasn't been written up since.

:)

 puppets-8

puppets-6

I look at this picture and think that we are in for all kinds of trouble.

puppets-7

Kitti adores Andrew.  It's completely mutual.

puppets-12

While Andrew had a little trouble with the playground rules, he does follow most of the school rules and has gotten many "Fox Positives" too!  When a child receives a "Fox Positive" (for following the "Fox Four") they can put their ticket in for a variety of drawings (including lunch with the principal, etc).  One of the drawings is to be a Fox Scout where you get to hand out a number of Fox Positives to other students for a day.  It's a big deal, and Andrew's name has been drawn twice!

puppets-11

Here is our little guy.

puppets-10

And here.

puppets-9

It was a fun afternoon getting to share a little bit of Andrew's school day with him.

2 comments:

Jo said...

We have the recess police on our playground as well ... can you come have a chat with them as well?! :)

It's always such fun to have the parents come and enjoy an event in our classroom and it means sooooo much to the child. How exciting for Andrew that Dan was able to attend!

Jo

Anonymous said...

Do I note an Angry Bird theme in the puppet show?