Saturday, March 23, 2013

Catch & Release

frog-2

Kaitlin and I returned home one afternoon to find an excited Andrew who caught a frog.

We've caught frogs before.

I always worry about the fragile little things who squish so easily in the hands of a child who just doesn't want his treasure to slip away....

Dan relayed to me that Andrew tried the initial strategy of taping the frog to his hand so it wouldn't jump away.

While a clever idea, Dan explained that's probably not the best for the frog's skin.

Andrew opted for a box until we came home and he could share his pet.

frog

He wanted to keep him , or her, as a pet.

But when I reminded him of our not so stellar track record of keeping small pets alive...he agreed the neighbor's yard with their nice pond, might be a happier and safer place for the frog.

frog-3

So we went to the little hole at the fence and Andrew sent him through.

frog-4

Andrew was so cute, smiling introspectively after he set his little friend free.

frog-5

I can't help but to look at that face and feel so lucky to have such sweetness in my life every day.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

So sweet! I miss not having tree frogs here. I remember lying in bed when I was about Andrew's age and watching a tree frog move up the hollyhock stems and eventually onto my window. I was thrilled! (Mom was not!) I love that your children have an appreciation for nature and enjoy observing it. xo