Sunday, February 10, 2013

New Years Eve

 new years-6

We used to get together with Shannon's family every Christmas holiday.   Then as the kids got older and had more December activities and life got busier, it became harder to fit in this time together.  So the last couple of years we have spent New Years Eve together.

By the time New Years Eve rolls around we (Shannon and I) are inevitably a bit tired of fussing over the holidays.  So our theme is this:

Simple.

Pizza.  Sparkling cider.  Beer for the guys. And chocolate chip pie.  Done.

We watch the ball drop (east coast time), and toast to the new year.

And the last two years we've played a little guitar Hero as well.

Easy peasy.  But really fun and laid back.  Really, it's just nice to spend some relaxed time together.

new years

The kids and the noisemakers eat in the kitchen.  While the adults eat in the dining room.

I really should have taken a photo of us in the dining room.   Poor Shannon and Ryan should come in November when we're fresh and excited about holiday entertaining.  The china is out, flowers are on the table...we hold this standard through Christmas Eve...things become more casual come Christmas day, and New Year's Eve?   Well, we had started taking down Christmas decorations and piling them on the dining room table. We literally shoved them to one side of the table, and the 4 of us ate on the other half.   Thankfully, Shannon and Ryan know that this dismal display of hostessing in no way reflects our feelings for them.  I'm grateful for friends that we can do this with and it's completely fine. It's just what is required in life sometimes!  All that mattered is that we had time together.

new years-5


new years-2

Can you not look at this photo and picture Matthew and Hannah as young adults?  My goodness.

new years-3

Cheers!!

new years-4

Male bonding.

new years-2-2

Shan, I think the picture of You and I is on Hannah's camera...but here are the guys!

It was a fun, relaxed evening with some of our most cherished friends.

Happy 2013!!


2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Happy New Year! I love this post. It has all the important things - fun, good friends, more fun, relaxed, and fun. Wishing both families the best.

Shans said...

I couldn't agree with Jeannie more! It is a perfect way to end a year and start a new one!!!!