Friday, September 28, 2012

First Day of School!

first day of school-4

Matthew and Andrew started school on Tuesday, and the Bug started on Thursday, but I dressed Katie for her first day so that we could do school photos all together.

It's a milestone year for our family with Andrew starting first grade, and Kaitlin rounding out our 6 year pre-school tour.

First grade is a tough one for me.

It was hard sending Matthew off, and it was no different with Andrew. Though I was all smiles and excitement on the outside, I had a lump in my throat and an ache in my heart on the inside. 

 first day of school-11

Those little baby steps away...the letting go bit by bit that tug at a Mother's heart. I know some moms aren't as bothered by these transitions. I was invited for Mimosa's/coffee at one of Andrew's friends' houses to celebrate the first day of school, and I made an excuse not to go. I didn't have plans, but I knew I'd be fighting back tears.  I knew I'd need just a little time to myself.  And I did.

But first, there were first day of school photos to take!

first day of school-5

Matthew:  Age 9.
When I grow up I want to be:  An inventor.
I could definitely see him doing engineering with his mind for designing, drawing, building and great ability to visualize.  He definitely follows in both grandfather's footsteps (who were Electrcial &  Nuclear engineers).
Teacher:  Mrs. Daniels  (and because I'm late in posting this I can report that she's his favorite so far!)
He was very nervous before school started, but had a great first day!

And the follow up is that Matthew is doing well ~ he doesn't have many friends in his class, and is separated from William for the first time which was hard ~ he was quite sad ~ but is doing fine.  His complaint, which has been the same each year, is that school is too easy...a good problem to have.


first day of school-6

Andrew: Age 7
When I grow up I want to be: "An Army Guy"
Teacher: Ms. Cocklin

Andrew was all excitement before school, but got in the van and said it was a "horrible" day.  The next day was better....Andrew takes longer than the average child with transitions so I kept that in mind when I heard his report.

I walked the boys up to school and we did our traditional photo with the fox.


first day of school-12

I gave them kisses and hugs and they ran excitedly through the front door and that was it.

Like I said, first grade is hard.

It marks the end of a phase in life that I really love and cherish.  And I want this for them.  I am happy for them.  For the friendships they make, the fun that they have, the lessons they learn.   I loved school and I am happy they have this experience.  Every day I am happy for them, but the first day of school just marks that significant milestone and I just have to give myself that moment.

My personal tradition is to have my little moment and then go and drown my sorrow in a pumpkin spice latte.

It totally helps.

first day of school-13

I couldn't be sad for too long because I still have this little face smiling up at me.
That helps a lot.
We won't even talk about when she starts first grade!
After all, we have an agreement that she's going to stay 4 for a few more years.

 I was really looking forward to picking up the boys and enjoying our other first day of school tradition...

first day of school-14

Apple cupcakes!

Kaitlin even asked "Can we go get the boys?"  She missed them too.
Soon enough, it was time.

first day of school-15

We sat at the table, ate cupcakes and talked about the day.

first day of school-16

These two boys are so different, and so wonderful.  I love getting to be their mom.

 first day of school-17

 “You're off to Great Places! 
Today is your day!
 Your mountain is waiting, 
So... get on your way!” 
~ Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just remember how hard it was too, watching your little ones grow up.First grade always brought tears to my eyes. I so remember Mike looking at me and saying, "have a good day mom!" My heart almost broke - he must have known I needed reassurement!