Andrew really wanted his birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. I'm not a fan of Chuck E. Cheese. To say the least. But I also remember how these are the little things that make childhood feel magical. Not to say that his day wouldn't be equally as wonderful if I had said "no" and we did something else. I know he would have been happy. But I spend so many days saying "no" and watching what they do/say/are exposed to, that it's nice to throw rules out the window and eat Lucky Charms for breakfast and go to an obnoxious, commercialized arcade that sells really bad pizza and watch the kids delight in it. And that's what we did.
On a side note, I was pretty low key about what I did for this party in comparison to what I normally do, which was great. I still had fun, but kept it much more simple. When I went to Richland to pick up the kids from Grammie's house, I stopped at Hobby Lobby (why does Kennewick have a Hobby Lobby, but Portland doesn't? Such injustices!) on my way into town with the intention of getting the supplies for Andrew's party ~ I got there 15 minutes before closing and wouldn't have another opportunity to get out there before leaving town. I was running through the aisles trying to quickly find things to put the party together ~ it was kind of funny like I had this challenge to put the party together in 15 minutes and when they started to turn the store lights off (which they did) I had to just go with what I had.
Upon arriving, the children received their tokens in a cup and were off to play! It was nice because the restaurant was not full (at all) and they check the children in/out of the restaurant with adults when they leave so the kids were just free to run and play while the adults talked and helped with games (or took a lot of photos...) :)
Cutie Patooties.
Um, Ryan? Are those YOUR tokens, or Gracie's?
Some of the grown ups might have had a little fun too. :) After all, Chuck E Cheese is where a
These two always manage to find one another.
The Mamas helped the little ones out.
Katie helped Carter make extra points.
And Grandpa helped when pedals were too hard to pedal.
The Bug preferred the rides.
This little guy had so much fun. He went through is tokens in no time, while the other kids seemed to last longer....I might have seen Nana slip him some more, after all he was the birthday boy.
Sometimes I wonder if my kids will tell their therapist, "I would be crying for help and my mom would stand and take a picture of me!" This tube was hanging from the ceiling and I looked up to see the Bug trapped and crying. She couldn't find her way out and there was just something cute (and ok, I admit it, slightly funny) about this. I assure you, we helped her out and she was comforted and consoled.
Then it was time for pizza and the "Birthday Show."
The happy birthday boy.
I bought the blowers during my Hobby Lobby Shopping sprint and thought the kids would have fun with them. Did I mention they were horns too? Yeah, might have regretted that purchase a bit. The kids certainly had fun with them!
Then Andrew was crowned by Chuck E Cheese. (This is where I just had to bite my tongue and go with it).
And Andrew, with what I believe the hostess called "The Complete Chuck E Cheese Look" (with his blow up crown and gold Chuck E Cheese medallion). Again, biting my tongue.....
I think this is where one of my friends looked at the expression on my face and said, "The kids are having fun..." Which became my mantra during this little part of the party.
Then the kids posed with the big mouse.
I know I've said it so many times, but I am SO grateful for the sweet kids, from wonderful families that we have in our life. We've built the community that surrounds our children very intentionally and I really hope that these friendships are lasting grounding through the years of school and peer pressures and growing pains.
I think this photo pretty much says it all. I'm so lucky to have friends who really love my kids. (And I love theirs too).
Make a wish! (there are candles hiding behind those monster eyeballs).
How is it that Andrew looks my size in this photo?
While we waited for Andrew's turn in the Ticket Blaster, Dan, ever the shy wall flower, led the kids in a little Dance Party USA in front of the blue screen. Notice the first 3 to join it?
I think Isaiah and Dan can relate to each other quite a bit.
It didn't take long before the floor was filled with people busting a move.
Notice the cake pop in Kaitlin's hand? She was pretending it was her microphone and was watching herself sing on the screen. Pretty much one of those moments where you flash forward and know you're in trouble.
Then it was time for the "Ticket Blaster." Andrew had seen a commercial for a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese and the Ticket Blaster and was SO excited about this. (Clearly a successful advertising campaign). He had been counting down the days for his party and this moment and kept telling me how he was going to get the "1000 magic ticket" that they advertised. (That was folded up & lost amongst the hundreds of tickets). I tried to prepare him for the fact that he might not get that ticket without tempering his excitement, but he remained focused on the ticket. We talked strategy (tucking in the shirt, and stuffing tickets down the front of it so his hands could stay free) and I was a little nervous as he excitedly made his way to the booth.
He got inside and the tickets started swirling like crazy and I just thought, "There is no way...."
You can see him smiling as the tickets started moving and he remembered what we talked about and started grabbing and stuffing like crazy! It was so funny to watch. He got out and started pulling the tickets out of his shirt and when he did, he pulled one out and unfolded it and wouldn't you know it was the 1000 Magic ticket?!
And of course for me, clearly it really wasn't at all about the ticket. The setting, the circumstances, the prize ~ all of it was so unimportant (and even more than slightly ridiculous at times). But it was the fact that he had thought about this moment ~ planned it, anticipated it, dreamed of it, and as unlikely as it was, it happened. As I stood there watching him, I was so so happy for him that he got the ticket. I think it was one of those small, magical childhood moments that he will always remember.
And at that moment, I was really happy we came to Chuck E. Cheese.
He turned in his tickets for a plush "Space Angry Bird." And was (and still is) completely thrilled over it.
(Andrew's teeth are green from some candy that he bought with his tickets as well....oh, the fun of Birthdays!)
It was a happy day, filled with great friends/family, lots of fun and a little sprinkling of birthday magic.
Happy 7th Birthday, sweet boy!!
2 comments:
Best Birthday Party EVER! The grown-ups had fun just watching the kids and their excitement over winning tickets to later cash in at store.
What a FUN party! I laughed out loud at the picture of Dan and Isaiah - what a hoot! And chuckled when I saw Samuel seated amongst the girls, so cute. Although I'm sad to have missed the time with you friends, Monterey was worth it! ;-) I hope you can get caught up on sleep ... but glad your reunion was so much fun!
Post a Comment