We went on an impromptu trip out to Yale Lake with some friends a couple of weeks ago (I'm woefully behind on my blogging). This little outing was such a departure from our day to day life that it will definitely end up being a summer highlight for us.
For the first little while I was just awestruck by the beauty of the surrounding creation. The lake, the trees, Mt. St. Helens. It was spectacular. We live in such a beautiful part of the country, and while we have to put up with a lot of rain to have this gorgeous green backdrop, it is so worth it.
Kaitlin, was pretty cautious about the boat. Downright scared at first, might be a better way of saying it. She was very nervous about speed and bumps and was really worried about Dan when he got on the tube. She wasn't the only one...
Though it's hard to tell, poor Katie was at the front of the boat while Matthew and Kaitlin sobbed. They were so worried about Dan on the tube! (He was happy and smiling and they were STILL upset). "Daddy! Daddy!" Matthew had already gone himself, but he was still so concerned for Dan. Sometimes I wonder how their little hearts will weather the world.
I was really proud of Kaitlin. Even though she was very nervous on the lake, she still went on the tube and even went swimming in the water! You could tell how nervous she was though as she was okay until Dan went under to swim and she was immediately hysterical.
Coming back in after a swim. She was much more comfortable by the end of the day.
Andrew getting ready for a turn on the tube.
Cooling off...it was the hottest day in 3 years that day!
All of the kids took a little dip.
Our cute boys.
Our generous hosts. Katie tried to drive the boat while Kyle skiied...She accidentally drove it a tad too fast.
Which handed us a good laugh (or at least those of us who were IN the boat). :)
The boys really wanted to try to ski, so Katie kindly got in the water to help them.
Matthew almost made it ~ you can see his head above the water line here! But then he fell.
(Here I am gathering my courage to head out on the lake).
The truth is, I'm afraid of water...lakes, rivers, the ocean...I LOVE to be around it. Not so much a fan of being in it. I'd ski growing up, but I'd definitely be bobbing in that water with a racing heart and anxious for the boat to start and get up out of the water. But I couldn't go out on the lake and NOT do something though, so I hopped in the tube and went for a ride. Though I want my kids to be safe and respect the water, I don't want my fears to become the kids' fears. I had a lovely ride until Dan started driving the boat in circles and making big waves and I took on water (again, funny to those INSIDE the boat)....I've since forgiven him.
Ready to go!
Matthew, ready for his ride.
Katie, manning the flag. :)
Dan said it was his favorite day of summer.
A real treat for our family...thank you Kyle & Katie for the fun day! It was fantastic ~ we so enjoyed it!
1 comment:
Love all the family fun shots! You all look like you're having such a GREAT time. How fun to spend a day on the water with great friends.
Jo
PS ~ Looking forward to chatting, just let me know.
Post a Comment