Thursday, July 5, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

peace
 (This photo was taken in the candy aisle at Walmart as the kids selected movie treats for the 4th of July) (And no, they don't eat all of that candy at once).

My list for the 3rd of July was long and hurried.

A visit from the cable guy in the morning.
A trip to Costco.
A play date for Matthew.
A play date for Andrew.
A trip to Walmart.
A hair cut & color.
A swim lesson form to turn in.

To name a few.

 I was running from one thing to the next and by the time we hit Walmart the kids were just crazy. The boys, specifically.

 Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike grocery shopping with all 3 of my kids?

It was a constant stream of,

"Please walk behind the cart."
"Please move out of the person's way."
"Please put that back."
"Please don't touch that."

And by the time we made it half way through the store, "Please" was probably dropped off the front of those sentences and my voice growing increasingly tense and firm.

Until finally, I was that mom.
You know the one.
We've all seen her.

The one with her child's arm gripped in her hand.
Her eyes boring into her child's eyes as she speaks firmly and closely into his little face.

Yes, I had had it &  I was her.

This was the scene when Kaitlin, perched atop the grocery cart, cheerfully says,

"Jesus said, 'Peace.  Be still.'"

I kid you not.

And after the shock of what she said wore off, with those simple words so many thoughts filled my mind at once...(Including asking myself why my 4 year old can speak calm wisdom into a situation when I am frazzled and reacting out of emotion at the age of 38).

I gathered myself, stood up, pushed the cart forward and thought,

Preach it, sister.

It was just what I needed to hear.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

LOL!!! I know the woman of whom you speak. I often want to go up to her and offer to entertain her charge so she can shop in "peace". I thought of you and the Zeamerettes last night with all the fireworks going off. I hope your summer is off to a glorious start and you enjoy every minute. xo

Rachel said...

Precious! You have to share that with Cindy Van Dinter since she was the storyteller for Kaitin and that was the first story of the week. Yes, I can 100% empathize with the shopping with more than one kid craze!!

Jo said...

Thanks for the giggle this morning ~ too darn cute! Don't feel badly, her wisdom will excape her when she has children of her own ;)

Jo