Sunday, July 1, 2012

Father's Day ~ Part 3

fathers day-48

After the recital we came home for a quick dinner, gifts and then off to see Madagascar 3.  I took a lot of photos during the gifts because the kids were so cute with their excitement over their home made cards.  There is also a lot here that is really "classic" Dan that I think will be fun to capture for the kids...I think they'll look back at this post some day and really remember Dan and his humor and sense of fun, so I'm including a lot of photos and details in this post for that reason.   


fathers day-49


Kaitlin was up first with her card & picture that she made.

fathers day-50

She then had to sit and read what the card said.  It went on and on and on and on.  There was a lot of "love."

 fathers day-38

Matthew was up next and made this little card for Dan that folded out.  He made the little box on Dan's lap that held his gift that he made at school.  He decorated the box with things that he thought Dan would like.  One side was "Seattle Seahawks" one side was "Idaho Vandals" and the side that is toward the camara is a spreadsheet.  :)  He sees Dan working on spreadsheets all the time.  I thought that was funny.

fathers day-39

Love Dan's sweet expressions with the kids.

fathers day-41

And then because I was snapping photos he started doing cheesy poses.

fathers day-42

Matthew gave Dan a little clay bowl. :)  I'll be sad when these home made gifts stop coming home.  They are the best.

fathers day-43

Proud little boy.

fathers day-46

Kaitlin then had another picture to share.

fathers day-47

She then had to sit (again) and tell the looooooooooooong story that it represented (about lots of love and rainbows and butterflies, oh and more love).

 fathers day-45 Andrew was blurry in all of my pictures of him, but I still love this. That is how he stands whenever he's feeling sort of shy and embarrassed but proud all at the same time. It was really cute. fathers day-44 Again, with the ridiculous posing.

So Dan.

But I was SO pleased and laughed so hard when I caught this one! fathers day-34

Dan was really tired. (He gets up at 4:30 to go to work each day and if he goes to bed late it's a killer).  And lets face it, we had a LONG day.  While he put on a good front, THIS is how he really felt.  Isn't this classic parenthood?!  :)  I just had to post it.  Sorry, honey.  Can't resist. 

 fathers day-35

Kaitlin had yet another card to share.  (Though I'm not sure I got the exact card sequence of photos right, there were 3).  And to keep it real, when she sat to once again, read her card, Matthew hit the end of his patience and said in typical big brother fashion, "That's it.  I'm outta here.  I'm not listening to another one of these."  (To which he received the "Yes, you will, and you will be supportive and kind to your sister" lecture) while Mom and I were laughing so hard because these card readings just kept going on and on and on (and let's face it, we could all understand where Matthew was coming from).  Kaitlin is just full of "love" and "Best in the whole wide world" and more love...it was just so funny.   And Matthew DID stay and listen to it.  :)

fathers day-36

And Dan showed appropriate appreciation. :)

2012-168

This framed photo was one of Dan's gifts....

fathers day-52 He really liked it. I was quite pleased with another surprise which was a grilling class that I bought on Groupon.  He was excited about that.  (It's really a gift to me too if he's cooking dinner!) After this we headed off to see Madagascar 3, which was really cute. And truth be told, I was so tired I caught a quick nap.

Then we came home for cake and ice cream.

And a little background on the next photo.  Occasionally during church near the end of a song or hymn Dan will turn to me with a smile and a twinkle in his eye and will say, "I'm going to bring it home." Upon which time I beg him not to...as he will belt out the last note of the song in very loud and dramatic fashion. Our poor kids will be horrified by him in their teenage years.

So here is Dan "bringing it home" during Mom's "Happy Birthday" song.... fathers day-53
fathers day-55

The kids all helped Nana with her candles.

fathers day-56

 The cake was called "The Ultimate S'Mores Cake." It had 2 brownie layers, 2 chocolate chip cookie layers, 2 cheesecake layers and a graham cracker layer. I was up until 1am the night before making it. It was ridiculous!  That is my level of dedication to my sweet tooth.  It sounded so good, I just had to make it!

Truth be told, it was a little dry to me.

 It was a long, happy day of celebrating!

No comments: