Saturday, July 14, 2012

Catching Up

Summer is just zooming by, as I knew it would.

I'm really glad that I'm doing my "Project Life" blog because it's easier for me to keep that up to date than this blog.  Life is just happening so quickly these days, it's hard to keep up.

I got out my blog books from the first year that I kept this blog the other day as I was working on Kaitlin's baby scrapbook and was amazed at how much life has changed in four years.  Hardly recognizable in comparison.  It's just so different, and while I remember feeling really busy then, (and was!) it's busy in a different way now.  We are very much "on the go" now.

But at the same time, looking at the blog books made me so happy that I've recorded all of these memories.  There were so many things I would have forgotten that I loved reading about and it inspired me to keep going.

I want to get back to blogging in "real time" rather than these posts from long ago, so I'm going to do just a very quick catch up.

So far, summer has been great.  Here are the highlights (and if you follow my Project life blog, some of this will look familiar).

The first full week of summer we had VBS...I spent many Wednesday nights and a some monday nights too, getting to be an assistant to the decorating visionaries.  I enjoyed getting to go and paint and chat the night away in the quiet of the church.  It was actually relaxing and fun fellowship.  I wasn't there for the actual set up, but they did a fantastic job pulling it together to create "Sonrise National Park."  This is such a fantastic ministry for the kids and they have a GREAT time.  And I love getting to go and see my church friends each morning!  All of the kids had a fantastic time.  And Andrew did great!!  It was such a relief to know he was in good hands (with my friend, Sheri) and happy.  Matthew loves VBS every year, and Katie was excited to get to go this year for the first time!  I posted these photos on my Project life blog, but had to put them here because they are so funny.  She was singing this song and doing the little arm movements....

catching up-17

I had moved to the front of the church and was literally laying on the floor to take these photos.  I have no shame.

catching up-15

I was cracking up as I took these because of Kaitln's facial expressions matching the words that she was singing.

She was really into it.
catching up-16

The chorus was "God's Got it!" and this little fist pump thing (shockingly charismatic for us, Presbyterians).  :) And these photos are totally blurry because I was laughing so hard while trying to take them and lay on the floor.

catching up-19

catching up-18

She sang her heart out, she did.

Bless her heart.

She's like her mama.

Can't carry a tune.

But she's got passion.

catching up-20

Yesiree.

Oh my word.

I just watched her and laughed and felt so lucky that this little girl is mine.  She has personality coming out of her eyeballs.  She is so funny.  I hope she never changes.

catching up-21

Meanwhile.  This is how Andrew feels about the singing.  Pure torture.  :)  He did participate this year though!  He did just great.  Matthew was on the other side of the room so I didn't get a photo of him singing.

Andrew started running a fever that friday and couldn't go to the last day. 

catching up-22

Andrew enjoyed some pampering.

 catching up-30

Grammie and Grandpa came to town.  Grandpa assisted with snuggles.  And we celebrated Grandpa's 70th birthday!!  Thankfully, Dan got dinner together while I spent most of the day running to the doctor.

catching up-32

My cake did not turn out as planned.  I ran out of time and had to move to Plan B.  But we had cake!

catching up-28

The next day Andrew was better and after much discussion with Shannon we took him to Claire's party.  We just didn't have the heart to have him miss it.  He and Claire would have both been so sad. He stayed pretty separate from everyone and no one else got sick ~ except Matthew who later that evening started running a fever too.  I can't believe little Claire is seven!  I feel like just yesterday Andrew was stealing food off of Claire's high chair tray.  The kids had such a fun time swimming at this party and we were happy to celebrate sweet Claire.

catching up-27

Shannon made this beautiful cake.  It was a mermaid party!

catching up-26

Kaitlin & "my best friend Gracie".  They are always so happy to see each other.

catching up-25

Grammie and Kaitlin went for a walk in the "dark forest."  Grammie brought back that pony t-shirt from N.Dakota.  The bug thinks it's the greatest!

catching up-24

Meanwhile, there were otter pops and water on the sofa for sick boys.

catching up-29

Grammie &  Grandpa got dressed up and went to a wedding!  Love this photo of them. :)

There was also a trip to the zoo with my dear friend, Diane!

catching up-34

What a treat to see her twice in a month!

catching up-36 catching up-37 catching up-35

 Nana was here too! We were happy to have time with her as well.

 catching up-39 catching up-14

The kids built trucks at Home Depot.

2012-189 catching up-12

And we've been eating ice cream.  It's not summer if you're not eating ice cream.catching up-13 We've had play dates. Can you find Andrew and Reid? We were at the park, but they prefer to hunt wildlife in nature.

 catching up

We managed to grow one of our four tadpoles to adulthood for release.  One died as a tadpole, one died as a frog, one turned into a frog and then disappeared sometime during the night.  Snuggle-unicorn-diamond happily survived and was released by a stream.  It seems those odds would suggest that we should not pursue pet ownership on a larger scale.

catching up-2

Dan and I were actually both a little sad to see out empty bowl when we got home.

But not sad enough to do anything about it. 

2012-190

We had a great time celebrating Kennedy's 4th birthday party with a darling cherry themed picnic that had so many cute details.  It was amazing.

 catching up-6

2012-190-3

I do so love a cute cake.   Loved this!

 catching up-9

Andrew and Joshua enjoying their lunch.

catching up-10

Kyle & Dan. 

catching up-11

I turned around at one point during the picnic and saw this parachute amoeba.  I started taking photos because I just instinctively knew who was inside of it.  I was right.  :)

The kids left with Nana and drove to Richland for several days with Grammie and Grandpa.  They had a grand time.  Bike riding, swimming and all sorts of fun things!  We're all back together and getting back in the swing of life.  I did so enjoy the quiet time.  It's amazing the contrast of life with and without the kids!  The break was heaven.  But the hugs I got when we were reunited were the best ever!

Next week is basketball camp for Matthew.  And I am taking a great online photography class that is taking some of my free time (but am SO excited about it). 

We are really enjoying the sunny weather (hooray!!!) and time with friends & family.  I love summer!!! 

No comments: