Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Father's Day ~ Part 1

2012-169-7

 Father's Day was a bit of a crazy day ~ full of fun, but definitely busy! We celebrated Dan, attended Kaitlin's ballet recital, and Mom's birthday was that day as well. It was a LOT. But a lot of fun.

We started the morning with breakfast in bed. I did not get up early enough (I was up until 1am the night before making the cake) and I really wanted to make praline bacon for Dan because he loves it. But it took a lot longer than I thought and he got up and I had to tell him to go back to bed that it was almost done! I made him really late for getting ready for golf, but it worked out. Breakfast in bed is a tradition that can't be broken! :)

So here are the kids bringing breakfast in bed...
fathers day-23

(Kaitlin had raided the 4th of July bin, hence the headband.)

2012-169-14

Dan's tray had 3 interviews with the kids with questions that they filled out (or I filled out for them.) some of my favorite answers:
 From Kaitlin: My Daddy's name is...."Ryan." (Shannon's husband!) :)
 My Dad is...."9 years old."
His eyes are...."Camouflage." (For the color)
He's smart because...."He loves me."
Daddy always tells me "I won't forget you."
I'm happy when Daddy "Hugs &  Kisses me."
I love my daddy because "he's my special daddy in the whole wide world."

 Andrew: My Daddy's name is ...."Daddy"
My dad's favorite food is "basghetti"
He's smart because he knows "how big God is."
My Dad's job is "going to a sawmill."
Daddy always tells me "Stories." I'm happy when Daddy "gives me hugs and kisses."
I love my daddy because" He's my daddy."

 Matthew: His hair is..."Bald." :)
My dad's favorite food is..."Everything." (True!)
He's smart because he knows "almost everything."
Daddy always tells me, "I'm Captain Awesome."
I'm happy when Daddy "plays with me." I love my Daddy because "he's my daddy."

 I love their thoughts!
 Dan and the boys were out the door by 8:30 and off to the golf course for a 9am tee time. He took some photos there....

 fathers day-57

oh, what cute little golfers!!

fathers day-4-2

 The boys LOVED the golf cart! Dan let them steer a bit too.

It was their first time on the course playing and not just hitting balls. Dan said it was one of his favorite moments yet as a Dad. I loved hearing that it was such a special morning for him.

 fathers day-3-2

 I haven't golfed for years, but my Dad taught me to golf when I was home during college. We would hit balls together frequently and I recently found a letter I had written to Dan during that time saying how much I enjoyed my time golfing with Dad and how by learning the game from him it felt like a part of him that I could take through my life. I still feel that way, and being on a golf course definitely brings back memories of my Dad. I hope it's a game we can enjoy as a family some day.


fathers day-2-2 fathers day-6-2 fathers day-5-2

I thought about my Dad this day, and missed him. But I'm grateful to feel free from the heavy grief I once felt on this day and to be able to really celebrate and find joy in his memory. I really just feel so grateful to have had him.   In cleaning out a card box recently I came across a few cards from him.  He wasn't one to write much, but to hear his voice through his writing...what a sweet treasure to bring back a piece of him.

While helping Mom move rock a few weeks ago she gave Dan a pair of gardening gloves to wear.  He put his hands in and pulled them back out holding a band aid.  He said, "The last person to wear these gloves was wearing a band aid."  Mom and I both look up and we all just paused for a moment.  My Mom said, "ahh...it must have been Walt."   To stumble on something that marked the presence of my Dad after these years have passed I think sort of almost took our breath away.  It's silly to have to refrain from saving a band aid...but I did have to stop myself from wanting to keep it.  Amazing how a band aid can feel like a lost treasure.

Back to happier thoughts of the day....

fathers day-7-2

They boys finished their outing with lunch at the golf course.  Daddy indulged them with root beer.

fathers day-3

Meanwhile, Mom and I headed to Mike and Michelle's house to celebrate Mom's birthday with them.  Michelle had these gorgeous flowers that looked like summer bloomed right there on her table.

fathers day-5

Mom had a milestone birthday this year.  65!!  I don't often write about this on the blog, but I am so proud of my Mom and how well she has done since my dad passed away.  While I was visiting one weekend I spoke with her neighbor (who knew Dad as well and loved him) and she was telling me how much she admires mom Mom and how she handles everything so well.  It's really true! 

And here's a funny story that is SO my mom.  My mom is a Democrat and not shy about it.  So during the last election she took her "Obama" sign and put it right next to the property line that separates her yard from her right wing Republican neighbor! (Who is the one that loves my mom).  So her neighbor got her "McCain" sign and put it right next to mom's.  That's my mom!

My Mom is so resourceful and has done so many home improvement projects since Dad's passing.  Both hiring work done, but also installing closet organizers and garage organizers herself.   She keeps up with the house so well while working full time (she's retiring next year) and I'm really, really proud of her.  She doesn't sit home and feel sorry for herself, she has a very busy social calendar ~ with set dinners out with friends every week, shopping trips, and traveling all over the country (Hawaii, North Carolina, Georgia, Las Vegas, to name a few) with friends.  While I know she'd prefer to do these things with my Dad, she still goes and does them and has a great time.  And I am SO glad.  I am SO proud of you, Mom!  I am so glad you are embracing and enjoying life!

fathers day-6

She gave my brother the medals that Dad earned while serving in the Navy during the Korean war.  He served two tours on a destroyer.  My Dad's family was extremely poor and he went to college on the GI bill at the University of Wyoming after his service.  He was the first person in his family to graduate from college and earned a degree in Electrical Engineering.  I think about how his decision to serve his country provided this opportunity for education that he otherwise would not have had and it certainly changed the course of his life and ours as well.  God Bless America!  :)

After a delicious breakfast and gifts, I got Katie ready for her recital and Mom and I headed out to meet the boys at the Auditorium to watch her performance.  That will be Father's Day Part 2!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Whew! I'm exhausted just reading your post! A few things I loved... Kaitlin's sparkler headband, the golf pics Dan took, and the band aid story. I'd want to keep it too. xo

Jeannie said...

Well, another Kleenex post, my dear. LOL! I knew I liked your Mom without even knowing her, and now I am convinced! Isn't it amazing the lives our parents have lead and how their decisions to be different has influenced our lives. (I would have kept the bandage.:D)

Anonymous said...

At one time I voted Republican - Nixon - Big mistake - then I saw the light! Well since you have spilled the beans about me being a "Liberal" - actually I am an Independent with liberal views. Your Dad would be so happy with the AHC Bill. He couldn't buy insurance since he was 37 years old. Thank God he was always employed with a company that had good health care.