We had such a great weekend. It was so lovely and I'm not really sure why I have this feeling about it as we didn't do anything super exciting. But even Dan remarked "what a great weekend." And so I wanted to record all the little details. I think though, it might have had something to do with the sunshine that we've been desperate (desperate) for, for so long. It was SO wonderful. I even felt happy as I was standing in flip flops filling up the van for nearly $4.00 a gallon. Just to be outside and feel the dry warmth...it felt so good.
When we saw sun in the forecast Dan and I decided we'd tackle the garage. The winter has been unkind to our garage. It grew to be dirty, messy and got to the point that I was more than a little embarassed when our garage door would go up. I mean really, who lives like this?
I like things clean. And tidy. But that doesn't mean that I get to live in a clean and tidy house. I have 3 little people who see to the alternative. And life is busy. And I want to do fun things with my family. So there are times when things slide until I just can't take it anymore. The garage was pushing my limit (Dan's too) and so this was the weekend. We worked, the kids played, it was great. There was other fun to be had as well.
And because I love "before" and "after" shots...
Here's "Before."
Drumroll please...
After!
There are empty shelves that won't be as empty after my next trip to Costco. :)
Here's some of the Middle....
We stacked everything on the driveway and it looked like the world's most unorganized garage sale.
We pulled out shelves and cleaned behind them. It felt so good to sweep the floor. We scrubbed the worst parts, and I'd have loved to scrub the whole thing, but Dan wasn't feeling it like I was. :)
They said, "People keep waving at us!" :)
Before...
After...
Before....
After
We didn't go through tubs and bins like we would have liked to but that will be another day. We both felt really good about the progress we made.
I asked Dan to please take photos with Mike's iphone and the guys promptly sent these off and made me so happy. :) They did a great job!
I love this photos. Apparently there's lots of scarf waving and chanting and singing. Matthew's favorite part was singing "You are my sunshine" at the 80th minute. They also sing "walking in a Timber's wonderland." Dan said the game was so much fun ~ they both so enjoyed it.
Meanwhile, Matthew, Andrew and I have been reading the first Harry Potter book. I love this series. I think the first few are ok for the Matthew & Andrew but they get a little dark after that, so we'll wait to complete the series, but we just finished the first book so I told them we'd watch the movie together. The opportunity for the Timbers game popped up for Matthew so Andrew and I went ahead and watched the movie together and then watched it again with Matthew on Sunday. Andrew was so cute and SO excited during the movie. It was really fun to watch together and talk about the book and the similarities and differences. I actually think the movie would have been too scary for Andrew had we not read the book together so that he knew what would happen and understood the characters.
So excited! :) Matthew & Dan didn't get home until after 10:30 (Andrew & I didn't go to bed until later either because we started the movie after I put Katie down) so I didn't set the alarm for church and let the boys have a lazy morning while Dan took Kaitlin to church (the to doughnuts..which Kaitlin said was "a special, special time.") :) Matthew, Andrew & I watched the movie in our PJs and then got ready to go to work in the garage.
And the second day brought even warmer temperatures and so there was even more fun!
First popscicles of the season!
Playing in the sprinkler!
The Bug mostly ran and squealed.
I loved that they were outside in the sunshine!! We ate dinner outside and it was SO nice to fire up the grill and enjoy the weather. I don't think I've ever appreciated sunshine more in my life.
After dinner I had to run to the grocery store and Kaitlin asked to go so I put her in the van in her swimsuit and headed out. As we were driving she was saying what a fun day it had been and then said, "mamas are always busy." I hate when the kids say things like that, it immediately floods me with guilt and then I talk myself through the fact and reality that life with 3 kids IS busy. And especially for Kaitlin being the youngest...life wasn't as busy for Matthew and Andrew at that age because we were able to be home more. Our school schedule alone keeps us hopping. And then a few minutes later she saw dandelions and asked to stop and pick them. And I said, no, we had to get to the grocery store. And then right before we turned in to fill up the van with gas she saw more dandelions and asked to pick them. I said no again, and then thought, Why not? I mean, really, why not? So I filled up the van, drove across from where the dandelions were and walked her across the street.
And then she put her hands to her cheeks and said, "Oh my goodness, it's the land of flowers."
It was an undeveloped area full of weeds.
But to Kaitlin it was beautiful
Which she did.
And then she plucked the remaining seeds from the flower and in her very endearing dramatic way
she gently threw them in the air...
And said, "Go...be with your friends."
I'm telling you, this girl is so funny.
She is completely sappy like me and I love it.
It was a simple, wonderful weekend.
2 comments:
I'm envious of the space in your garage! We are talking about getting a shed for all our {his} lawn equipment.
How do you get anything done during the day with Katie around? I would be laughing non stop ~ she is too much! Love it.
Jo
You must think you live in a reality show starring Shirley Temple! Kaitlin is so adorable and funny.
Post a Comment