Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Little League Game

little league-2

Little League started again! Matthew loves his little league team ~ lots of little friends from school are on it which makes it really fun.  Sports are all about socializing for Matthew right now.  Here's how I know.

Me:  Matthew, which is your favorite sport to do, Baseball or Tae Kwon Do?
Matthew:  Well, I have more friends at Baseball, so baseball.
Me:  Let's pretend you don't have any friends at either sport.  Which sport would you like the best?
Matthew:  Well, I can't really make friends at Tae Kwon Do, so....
:)

Many of the practices have been cancelled due to rain, but the first game rolled around and I took some photos of Matthew in his uniform.  He was having a play date that day, and Dan had a late meeting so things were a little hectic around our house as I was packing a little dinner for Andrew & Kaitlin to bring with us, getting everyone changed into warmer outdoor clothes, getting blankets, umbrella, etc.  We dropped off Matthew's friend and headed to the baseball field.  By this time it is raining.  Then it starts pouring.  We stood out in the rain for 20 minutes while the coaches found a time to reschedule and long enough for Kaitlin and Andrew to get completely wet & muddy and then we went home.  Isn't that how it goes?

Our second game was scheduled 2 days later and the weather cooperated!

Matthew played second base, and Dan was there giving pointers.


little league-2-2 little league-4

Our team had the option of playing up a level where the kids pitch, or down where they still coach pitch and hit off the tee occasionally. We played down. It correctly reflects our commitment level. We're all about having fun. No intense little league parents on our team, which is nice. little league-5

Matthew did just great. He had a fun time. I stayed for an hour and divided my time between trying to watch the game and keep an eye on Kaitlin and Andrew who were playing on the playground equipment. I took the kids home to feed them when the last inning started. Dan came home and said Matthew played center field and a ball was hit to him! He had an opportunity to make a play, and I'm sure he would have done great, if his mitt weren't on his head at the time.

Serious ball players, we are.

No comments: