Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Little Bit of Everything

This post is going to be a little bit of a combination of "The Ugly Truth"  a little bit of "Life According to My iphone."

My brain isn't capable of a lot right now, so bear with me.  This post is just a sort of an all over the place update.

And my usual disclaimer, anything that might sound like a complaint isn't intended to be.  Truly.  Just the reality of life right now, there certainly isn't any "poor me" feeling behind it.  I don't want any of this read in that way at all.

tired-2-2

I always like to start with a cute picture and even though Andrew is doing a bit of a cheeseball face, this fits the bill.  Still can't get over how much they look alike.

tired-3

Every family should have an Andrew.
He just gets along with everyone and is such a love.
I know if the order of our kids were any different we would not have the harmony that we do.  Not that everything is always peaches & cream.  It most definitely isn't.  But in general, the kids get along great.

2012-073-5

At this age, Andrew is definitely the favorite playmate in the family.

2012-073-4

Now for a bit of the Ugly Truth.

It's no secret our kids are not great eaters.  (Meaning they don't eat a wide variety of foods).
Matthew & Andrew are improving.
Matthew eats very healthy, happy to have fruit for a snack, etc. but doesn't eat a good variety of food.
Andrew will try most things and eats the best variety but has texture issues & a raging sweet tooth.  (Me too on both accounts).
Then there's the Bug.
I am pretty sure she's retribution for what I put my parents through.  I was a terrible eater and so is she.  I took this photo tonight.

tired

So, remember the photo of the boys laughing at dinner?  Here's the flip side of the coin.

This was after she was moved into the dining room and she sat for 45 minutes refusing to eat a single bite of soup. Dan finally put it in her mouth and that was her reaction.  She will clamp her little mouth shut and refuse to put food into it.  It isn't pretty.

When Matthew was small he was so exhausting, that by the time dinner time rolled around it was not a battle I was willing to fight.  I'd rather work on other things.  Food didn't make the list.  I've seen other babies/toddlers eat what is put in front of them ~ Matthew was my only child that did that until the age of two when he decided not to.  Andrew and Kaitlin, as babies/toddlers would spit the food out, purse their lips together, turn their heads and refuse to eat.  I didn't push it.  One night we forced Matthew to eat chicken.  He threw it up.  We let it go.

We've reached a point where (dare I type this?!) we don't have any major behavioral issues we're working on.  The kids are kids, they have moments and days that are rough, but in general, (for now!) they're pretty good.  Just minor things here and there.  So, we're ready to take on food.

Sigh.

I dread it.  I hate it.  And no, I won't ever be one to make my kids clean their plate...(I often don't finish my own and prefer that learn to listen to their bodies), but they need to get better about this.   I remember what it felt like when I was little to have strong aversions to food and so I'm not ever going to be extreme on this.  It's just not important to me.  Character, yes.  Manners, yes.  Discipline & a respect, yes.  Food?  Not so much.  (Let me clarify here ~ I want my kids to eat a healthy diet, but making a battle out of every meal is not something that is important to me).  That being said, we do need some improvement and I recognize that.  I will say, this makes Dan crazy.  He is not picky at all.  He'll eat anything and doesn't understand this in the least, so it's tough for him.  It's going to be a long road.

tired-2

We had snow on Tuesday with a 2 hour delay and there was a huge line to get into school so as I was stopped waiting, I snapped this photo and texted it to Dan.  Kaitlin is holding a suitcase with the kids' capes in them.  She's been traveling around with it for days.

tired-4

We went to get shoes for the kids (cleared by Dan, yes, it fell under "necessary" shopping) :) and a mall security man (upper right) came into the store.  Katie and Andrew hid under the table as they thought he was coming for them.

2012-075

My evening treat has been Chicago style popcorn. I eat the cheese first, then caramel corn. Dan does it in reverse. That's us.

It's at costco. And that bowl? I bought it at Walmart while in college. I have 4. It's the perfect treat bowl. I've tried to find a replacement, and simply can't.

I've been a bad blogger because I'm tired.  I'm blaming the fact that I'm getting up early to exercise 4-5 days a week and I'm constantly in and out of the house right now.  This is a really hectic year. I will not miss this schedule.  It's also made me really horrible at returning calls & emails.  Please know it isn't personal....I honestly feel guilty frequently because I feel like I'm not a good friend this year and I hate that.

On a positive note, the exercise & change in diet is paying off.  I just found out I've lowered my cholesterol (through diet) and raised my HDL by 20% by exercising.  For the first time since in my 20s it's above 40 (it's 41) which took a cardiovascular risk factor off my profile. My LDL is still slightly elevated, but unless I do something extreme, it will just be what it will be.  A girl's gotta live.  (I'm NOT giving up my evening treat).  I'm pleased with the result and I know my Dad would be really proud.

Between the diet, exercise and my Lenton sacrifice my self control muscle is getting fatigued. But it's been good too.  However, I am really looking forward to Eater. 

Kaitlin is too, and keeps saying that Easter is her favorite holiday and that she can't wait to eat Jelly Beans. 

I feel badly that I don't blog much about Matthew.  He is loved just as much as our other kids!  His birthday is coming up soon though and so I'll enjoy getting to focus on him a bit.  I've said this before, and it's true, it's just that he's in school all day and our life is such a blur of homework, reading, dinner, and tae kwon do or baseball when he gets home.  Or he's playing Legos, reading or having some wii time.  He's doing great apart from  struggling with socializing too much in class.  Hmmmm...who does that sound like?  :) I remember when he was born being afraid I wouldn't be able to relate to a boy....I am a girly girl, but I  have discovered that I love, love, love having boys.  For many reasons.  And while there are things I can't relate to, I've learned that those things aren't really things I have to relate to in order to have a close relationship with my boys.

I am counting down until spring break.  The kids are going to stay at Dan's parent's house for a few days and while I'm going to miss them like crazy, I'm looking forward to the break and am already plotting about how I'm going to spend my time.  Dan is looking forward to it too.  It will be our first time to be in our house overnight without the kids in almost 9 years.  (Matthew's birth).  How crazy is that?  No bedtime stories....no baths....we can hardly fathom it.

I think that's a pretty thorough update.  Not a lot of excitement ~ which is a good thing!

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I am a picky eater, always have been. My Mom was a "clean your plate - starving children in India" type. One night I was refusing to eat creamed corn. I sat for what seemed like hours staring at that corn. I finally ate the last bite and it tipped the scale in my tummy and you guessed it - the plate was full again. I had the stomach flu. She never made me eat creamed corn again! LOL! I hope you schedule some relaxing time in your spring break holiday. I'd love to be able to wrap up some hours as a gift to you. Wishing you a joy filled weekend. xo

Anonymous said...

I was a pick eater also - that is the reason I didn't force the issue with you and Mike.