The clothes are pressed.
Backpacks are ready to go.
I organized an area in our laundry "room" (walk through) so that I can open the backpacks and just put the kids papers, etc. in their bin until I have time to deal with them.
I am desperately trying to avoid the big mess that lives on my desk most of the year.
(On a side note, I thought the red laundry room would be "fun."
Big mistake.
I am hoping to paint it a very calm blue sometime in the near future....I find the more stimulating my surroundings are with kids, the more I crave a calm, serene atmosphere in my home. Not to mention I feel as though I should be doing my laundry in stilettos and fish net stockings).
The boys' clothes are laid out for the rest of the week so they can just get up and get dressed right away. Their sticker chart is behind the door so they can remind themselves of their morning responsibilities.
The boys spent their last day of Summer Jet Skiing and boating with Daddy and a friend of his. Katie and I did errands, and she took a good long nap, which was exactly what I was hoping for.
We celebrated the last day of Summer vacation with S'Mores on the patio after dinner.
We read, "The Berenstein Bears go to School", "Curious George's first day of school" "The night before Kindergarten" and "You and Me." (My favorite part of the day).
Andrew cried because he was going to miss me. And I did too.
Matthew had some encouraging words about making friends and Daddy provided some silliness. (Thank God for Daddy. Truly).
We said prayers and an extra prayer for a happy first day...new friends...a year of learning lots....
The laundry is done.
The ironing is done.
Everyone has clean sheets on their bed.
The house is tidy.
The groceries have been bought.
After school snack (cupcakes) just came out of the oven.
I even washed the van.
By all outward appearances, we're ready for the first day of school.
By all inward appearances, I'm not.
Honestly, I'm in such a bad mood.
So, I've been doing what I usually do when I'm anticipating a change...cleaning and organizing and trying to feel in control of life and "Ready" for the day, even when I'm really not.
Matthew's first day of second grade is really just more of the same....he's made that leap into the "big kid" stage. He's part of his school. He has friends. He's doing great. I'm confident he'll have a good year. That sensitive little baby grew into a surprisingly resilient and strong little boy.
Katie is making her baby step out tomorrow as she starts pre-school. But it is at our church...I know the school well. I love it there and I know her little heart will be well tended to. She is very outgoing and self confident. Lots and lots of fun awaits her at school, and mostly I'm just excited for her as I know she's going to LOVE pre-school and it's such a fun time.
But Andrew takes his first step out tomorrow to Kindergarten.
I know the changes that will happen in him this year.
I've seen it before in Matthew.
And I celebrate some, and mourn others.
I have that first day of Kindergarten lump in my throat.
For so many reasons....
But tomorrow I will be all smiles and encouragement.
I loved Kindergarten as a child.
Andrew has a great teacher.
And I'm praying for a sweet boy in his class that is waiting to make a friend, just like Andrew.
I'm nervous for him for a variety of reasons, but not for the reason I thought I would be when I anticipated this day.
My main concern is for his tender heart.
I want so badly for this to be a positive experience for him.
It's hard to let him go.
But I will.
And I'll be counting the minutes until I get him back.
5 comments:
I have been thinking of all of you this weekend. I used to get so nervous on the first day of school that I couldn't eat. Our tradition for breakfast was powdered doughnuts and chocolate milk. What was Mom thinking!!! LOL! I will keep Andrew in my thoughts tomorrow. I hope he finds a special friend who is as kind and generous as he is. My thoughts will also be with you. Breathe and relax, you have raised them well. xoxo
Thank you so much, Jeannie. That's so nice of you....I really, really appreciate it.
Your Mom sounds like my kind of lady! :)
I always remember Mike's first day of kindergarten. Sharolyn kept you so that I could focus on Mike. When it was time to leave, he turned to me and said, "you have a good day, Mom." I almost flipped out. Wasn't he suppose to cry? No, it was the mother who walked home with a heavy heart.
I've been thinking about you ALL DAY! My heart just cried out to the moms with kindergarteners ~ the tears, smiles, and hugs. I hope this finds you enjoying all the first day excitement!
Jo
Great post sweetheart. I loved how captured the anticipation perfectly, I was feeling the same way as well.
Now about those heals and stockings you mentioned.......
Post a Comment