I haven't done an "Ugly Truth" installment for a while.
I was looking at these photos and thinking about how the kids are all smiles and it looks like we had this really great day out in the sun. That would be quite far from the truth. I'm sitting here waiting for the knock at the door for the Mommy police to come and take my license away.
It was one of those days.
I don't know what is going on, but suddenly my voice has become what my mom calls, "Background noise" to the kids. They either aren't hearing me, or they're ignoring me, or choosing the blatantly disregard everything I ask them to do. The simplest task is requiring 4 or more requests.
And this Mama has had it.
Things got ugly around here today.
I actually heard myself say, "You're INSANE if you think you're getting a Popsicle."
It was at the end of dinner, at the end of a very challenging and trying day, and there was a bold request for a treat.
I was on the phone with Dan at the time and he said he knew I was at the end of my rope when he heard that.
He knows I hate name calling. It's just not something that's allowed in our family.
And I called one of our kids "insane."
Not my best moment.
The boys were in bed at 7pm tonight because I decided it was just better to end the day right then before it deteriorated any more. Sometimes you just have to salvage what's left, you know?
I share this, because I have always wanted this to be an accurate portrayal of our life. The peaks, valleys and the small bumps along the way. And because I want to make sure that I don't portray myself on this blog as anything other than what I am.
An imperfect mom that struggles at times to be patient.
That loses her temper.
That calls her child "insane."
That fails despite my best efforts.
That has crummy days and wonders if my kids will always remember this.
If these moments will overshadow the happy times in their little lives.
Sigh.
I'll just add this to the list of things that I've said/done that I'm certain I NEVER would have thought I would say or do prior to having kids.
I love the simplicity of children's books.
And my love for "Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse" has been documented here.
I don't have access to the book here (richland) but from memory, there is a line in a note from Lilly's teacher that simply reads....
"Today was a bad day.
Tomorrow will be better."
I hope so.
7 comments:
I think maybe Mom need a time out at say Craftwarehouse or Hobby Lobby? All by herself, to embrace the creative self and reflect that Thursday was just "one of those days". Today will be better. This I know is true.
You are an incredible mother and our children are soo blessed to have you as a mom. Even at your "worst" you are still better than 99% of the other moms.
You (nor your kids) would be normal if this didn't happen, especially after being away from home all week!! I have these incidents at least a couple times a day!! But I appreciate that you gave us a slice of "real life" along with the pictures that fail to capture the impness within those precious kids! You must be exhausted after a week of caring for your mom, visiting friends, and parenting solo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tomorrow is always brighter and begins with no mistakes ~ can't tell you how many times I've reminded myself of this!
I've met many moms over the years {and their children} and have yet to meet a perfect one! We are human not super heros or tv super moms {with great script writers}.
Have a great weekend ~
Jo
You are a wonderful mother and we all have days like this!!! Glad you are home! Enjoy tomorrow and try to catch a breath before the week starts. Love you my friend!
I ditto Dan! I will never forget the first time I told Garrett to "shut up"- in the back of the suburban when we were in a rush out of the house when it was for sale in Vancouver- I could not take one more question. I reflect back on it often... I KNOW that he doesn't remember it at all. But I do! The goal is to not put bricks in their backpacks... or my own. Love to you! You are an inspiration to all!
There are words we all have spoken, and wish we could take them back.
Tomorrow is ALWAYS a new day.
Post a Comment