Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Benton Franklin County Fair!

fair29
(Can you believe ALL the kids are looking at the camera and SMILING?! Miracle!)

We flew in from Vegas last Mon. Quickly unpacked, did 6 loads of laundry, repacked and the kids and I headed to Richland the next day.  We were home for less than 24 hrs.  I'm telling you, this summer has been crazy.  I am wiped out.  Lots of happy memories.  One tired Mama.  :)

fair1

Mom loves to take the kids to the fair.  Winnie was out of town this year (she went with mom last year) so when Shannon mentioned going to Richland for the fair I told her we'd go too....I know this is something that means a lot to my mom.  Then we found out Isaiah and Noah were going to be in town, so it became quite the party! 

fair2

fair4

Mom works with a lady who has kids who had sheep that they were showing.  She told Mom to bring the kids by and they could do the pee-wee division.  So we did!  Katie liked the sheep but then hers was VERY talkative....BAA!  BAA!! BAA!!  BAA!!!!

"It loud."  She said.

And then....

fair5

When she saw this photo and we were talking about her sheep she said,
"I wanted it to be quiet."  :)
Needless to say, Katie watched instead.  (Gracie too).

The big kids though, were happy to participate...

sheep

Andrew's Goat was quite stubborn.  I thought it was funny and perhaps it might give him a little insight into what it is like to try to run errands with him!  :)  At one point he got tangled between the rope and goat.  :)

andrew sheep

The kids were very happy with their ribbons.  They have been added to the "ribbon shelf."  (sigh.)

fair12

fair13

Then we went to have lunch.  Which was a circus in itself.  We found some seats and finally got all the food/drinks, and the adults were finally eating when Isaiah threw up.  I was worried he was sick and we'd have to leave when Matthew came up to me with a nervous face and said, "It's my fault.  We dared each other to drink all the lemonade in one gulp."

Boys will be boys.

I was happy though that Matthew took responsibility, and was really glad Isaiah wasn't sick.
We headed to the rides after that....

fair14

I held my camera over the side and just snapped a photo.  You can see Mom, Shannon, her mom and Claire on the ground down there in the shade.

fair15

Then onto my nemesis, the carousel.  (Although this isn't the carousel).

fair19

I was on the ground snapping photos as the kids went by.  This one of Noah cracked me up.

fair20

I took this one when I rode with the little girls.  They loved the carousel.

katiegracie

I was looking at these photos and Katie asked to see her and her pony, and her sheep and then said,

"I want to see me when I lost." 

(Which by the way, I asked her how she got on the pony on the carousel when we couldn't find her and she said that she did it by herself.)

Anyway, the bigger kids went to ride this one ride that spun around and then each individual car spun around too. We think the operator sort of forgot about Isaiah and Matthew because they kept riding and riding and riding while everyone else got on and off!

fair27

The kids played this game...

fair16

Of course Nana let them play over and over until everyone won.
She has fun spoiling the kids.

balloon game

On a side note, It was so funny when we arrived at the bus lot we saw that Katie and Gracie were wearing the EXACT same outfit!  I knew they were wearing their bandanas from Andrew's party, but those shirts and shorts didn't even come from the same store.  They weren't sold as an outfit. Funny!

fair25

fair24

"Best Friends"

fair23

Me and Shan with our little ones who aren't so little anymore. It was REALLY HOT that day. Another kankle day. I returned to Portland with greater appreciation for our mild climate.  My feet can't take the heat anymore.  It made me feel old!

I just love this photo of Matthew and Hannah....

fair28

It was taken when we stopped and had shaved ice.  My personal favorite part of the day.  It was so refreshing!

The kids LOVED these big balls....

fair30

It was after this that we lost Kaitlin, so I didn't take anymore photos until right before we left. I mostly held Kaitlin.

The kids rode this when we were on the way out.  Andrew was a little natural!  He was SO cute to watch, smiling the whole time. 

fair31

fair33

He was the only one that braved it until it bucked him off... :)

fair32

Isaiah and Matthew didn't last long ~ both asked to stop after a bit.  Noah had fun but started to look very concerned when he started to slide so I turned and asked the operator to turn it off.  He got down, jumped up and down and yelled, "I WON!!!!"  :) 

bronco

fair002

Andrew had REALLY wanted some cotton candy. Nana delivered.

I snapped this one right before we got on the bus (which, by the way, is the only way to go to the fair. SO easy ~ no parking issues!) Does it look like we went to the fair, or what?

fair003

So funny!

fair001

Thank goodness I still carry baby wipes in my van. :)

The kids had a fantastic day. I have to say Mom was such a trooper, we think she might have broken her toe and she didn't complain at all about it, and I was the one who was ready to go earlier and she wanted to stay so the kids could have more fun.  Thank you mom, for giving the kids such a wonderful day!

The kids and I got up the next morning and headed back to Camas.

So, we're home again and trying to get ready for school, which is starting next week! I can hardly believe it....I honestly couldn't feel less ready for school to start.  The school supplies are bought, the "first day of school" clothes are in the closet, but I'm so not emotionally there.  I'd really like 2 lazy weeks with the kids and some time to finish up some projects.  But I'll save that for another post....

Oh well, 9 months to go until next summer.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great day. These kids will always remember the fair. I always remember Bonnie and Butch getting to go to the "Old Settler's" in Hillsboro. I was so looking forward to the day when I was old enough to go - but guess what we moved away, and the only thing Los Alamos had was a stinking rodeo. Dolly, Ed, Walt and I always enjoyed the fair. Now I'm taking the grandchildren.