We left for home Sunday morning.
But first, a little detour.
We went by my old sorority house that I called home the year and a half before I decided to transfer to WSU.
I honed my parallel parking skills during that time. You can see from this photo exactly why.
We headed to University Villiage that used to house "Mom's" where my parents would take me to breakfast. It's long gone...it's now a posh outdoor shopping mall. It was fun to walk around and visit a few stores. We stopped for breakfast at a little cafe.
It was Father's Day morning.
And as we sat in the cafe, Dan got up to wait for our drinks while I sat in the corner and people watched.
Which I love to do.
A young college aged girl sat down at a table right by ours with her Dad.
She gave him a gift and smiled and said, "Happy Father's Day."
She eagerly watched his face as he opened it, anxious for his reaction...
There was a "grilling" book inside. He immediately moved his chair closer to hers and they looked through and talked about it for a moment before she started sharing and talking about something on her mind.
There was this sweet exchange between them...
...that was very familiar.
And at one point she looked up to see me crying over my croissant.
And while for the most part,
my Dad's absence has become normal and expected to me,
there are moments like this that open that wound.
It was after all, Father's Day.
But I was sharing a table with a really great Father.
And I couldn't be more grateful to know that my children are blessed with a really great Dad.
At different times in our marriage/parenting, I find myself grateful for different things.
When the kids were small, I felt grateful that he would change dirty diapers.
That he wouldn't shy away from comforting a baby that seemed to never be comforted.
That he would take on the nightly bedtime wailing with Matthew so that I could have a break.
As the children get older, I feel grateful...
That he doesn't think twice about taking the kids out by himself on adventures.
That he takes the initiative to teach the children about our faith.
That he is an outstanding role model for the boys.
That he helps with bedtime each night and has probably given the children more baths than I have.
I'm grateful that we're in step with one another about our parenting roles, and work well together as a team.
And probably a hundred other little things that I can't begin to list but just account for the sense of gratitude that I have toward Dan in his role as a Dad, and a spouse as well.
When we walked in the door the kids literally ran past me because they couldn't wait to get to Dan and wish him a Happy Father's Day.
How great is that?
Watching the exchange between each of the kids when they gave Dan their cards was precious. They were each so proud.
And so excited to give their Daddy their card to him.
It was so sweet.
I have to say, I'm sorry Hallmark, but a hand made card by your child is WAY better than a store bought one.
This isn't a good shot, but how sweet are these expressions?
It just melts my heart into a puddle.
That is exactly what I'm so thankful for on Father's Day.
My kids will have what I had.
Really, what more could I ask?
We gave Dan some things to use for his grill this summer.
Katie was NOT happy with me that I wouldn't let her spread the "bark" (Hickory chips) outside.
We had a very low key day after this.
We had a family movie night and just relaxed. ~ Dan's kind of day.
I have to end this post with a HUGE thank you to my Mom and Winnie for watching the kids for us so that we could have our much needed, much appreciated get away.
It was nothing short of wonderful, thank you.
1 comment:
What a great {and well deserved} getaway! Your three loves are so lucky to have such a great parenting team. Love that you are so honest about your emotions on all levels. Sometimes the sweetest moments are so painful when filled with memories.
Jo
Post a Comment