We celebrated Dad's birthday on Monday before leaving Tri-Cities. His birthday is on the 5th of July and every year on this day you could find us dressed in red, white and blue celebrating Dad.
After you lose a loved one you have to figure out what these days mean. Do you celebrate? Do you not celebrate? As each holiday/occasion approaches it has to be faced. It seems strange to not acknowledge a day that had been celebrated every year of your life. And yet, it's strange to celebrate without them...A new "normal" is somehow negotiated based on what feels comfortable. I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" for these things. I think it's just what people find comforting.
For me, it means to acknowledge the day. The loss, for me, is greater if these days were to go unacknowledged. It would feel like somehow, I don't have a Dad. But I do. I have a Dad. He just isn't here. And my Dad is still worth celebrating. So we went to the cemetery and left some flowers and a birthday balloon.
Dan's Mom joined us as well. We were happy she could be with us.
Then we went out to eat. Mom brought a little cake. And we toasted to Dad.
The boys have asked me if they celebrate birthdays in heaven.
I don't know...perhaps the day he passed on from here is his birthday there....but I imagine somehow these days these make us feel special and loved here aren't even necessary there.
Happy Birthday Dad.
I love you.
K.D.
4 comments:
We celebrate my dad's birthday every year - July 18. We get a cake, sing happy birthday to grandpa in heaven, and talk about just how much we miss him.
I'm like you - I don't know if they celebrate birthdays in heaven - I hope they do - but if they don't - I feel certain our daddy's are watching our families celebrate their special days - and loving us for remembering them.
Happy Birthday to your daddy in heaven.
This just brought tears to my eyes. Perhaps you are right their birthday in heaven is the day they passed from this earth. July 5 will always be a hard day - just because it extended the holiday weekend one more day.
What a sweet post ~ brought tears to eyes and you know why.
I've never really celebrated my parent’s birthdays but I do spend extra "time" with them on these special occasions.
I certainly do hope they celebrate birthdays in heaven ~ I want to be able to eat my entire blueberry cheesecake myself and not gain an ounce (I'm also hoping you don't gain weight in heaven) :)
Have a great weekend ~
Jo
Thanks for sharing your heart and your journey of walking through your grief! Know God is using you to touch others! Blessings my friend!
Post a Comment