Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sewn with Love by Nana


When I was little my Mom made many, many dresses for me. Sweet smocked dresses, and most often dresses with pinafores. I have so many memories of standing in our basement gingerly wearing a dress full of pins and trying not to get stuck as I stood for fittings. Night after night my mom would be bent over her sewing machine. The little light beaming and the needle hard at work. The sound of a sewing machine brings back a lot of memories for me.

We'd go to the fabric store and pour over dress patterns and fabrics. Anything with a "twirly" skirt worked for me! (I refused to wear pants for a good portion of elementary school). I remember going to school and the teachers would always comment on my sweet dresses. And of course there were always matching bows in my hair. (Is any of this sounding familiar?)

My Mom is very talented and made a beautiful heirloom baptism gown for my children and one for my brother's children as well. Hand embroidered with silk thread. They are gorgeous.

The sewing machine hasn't been out for a long time. With Dad needing so much care and attention, there certainly wasn't time when he was with us...and then in the wake of his loss, the motivation certainly wasn't there.

But the other day I called and she told me that she was making a pair of pants for Kaitlin. She had found a pattern and bought some fabric and was in process.

I was delighted.

We received these sweet little pants (the photo doesn't do them justice). Pink and white gingham with a blue floral ruffle and floral pockets on the back. So cute (and a perfect fit, Mom!)

I'm so glad the sewing machine is out and getting some use again. We are VERY happy and grateful recipients of your time and talent. Thank you so much Mom for blessing Kaitlin with a very special gift from Nana!!

No comments: