Friday, February 27, 2009

The Evolution of a Blog

I started this blog originally as just a scrapbook of our day to day life. The primary intention of it is definitely still to document memories for our children. Years from now, I want to remember the little stuff. This is an easy way to do that. And I love it. But over the year, it's proved to have other functions as well. It's become a creative outlet for me. It's been a place for me to mourn the loss of my Dad and remember him and honor his memory. It's also a way to keep up with my friends, (friends, I love reading your blogs too!) and surprisingly, it's been an avenue for making new friends! And what fun that has been.

I know the people who read my blog come here for different reasons. Grandparents enjoy seeing the grandkids and knowing what they are doing. Some friends like that too. Dan really enjoys seeing what goes on around here when he isn't home. Other friends like to hear what's going on with me. And I know my Mom likes to read what I write about Dad. I so appreciate the kind words that people share with me about my blog because it's very personal to me. But a lesson I've learned over the last year (I've learned a lot of them in '08) is that life is so much richer when you share it.

Anyway, I was just thinking about that today as I was putting this post together because this one has nothing to do with the kids, or the family, it's pretty much a fluff post because of my love for organizing and I have a friend that wanted to see photos of the progress I've made during my little blog break/organizing/cleaning out project. So here's my crowning accomplishment thus far. (I thought this would be more exciting than say, my sock drawer or other little random areas I've been cleaning). This one took an entire day. The kids, Dan and I were sequestered in the bonus room after church and they played and we worked on the closet and here it is!


It's the bonus room closet. It houses my crafting/scrapbooking stuff, office supplies, and my secret addiction...wired ribbon. It feels great to have it done. This closet makes me smile every time I peek inside. Sometimes I open it just to see the order. Then I close it and face the chaos of my life. :)

2 comments:

Diane said...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
1)the drawers upon drawers so neatly stacked and organized
2)the label maker you use to organize your life
3)your obsession with ribbon, specifically wired ribbon
4)the fact that organizing makes you happy, just like me

Thanks so much for including this post on your blog. I do enjoy seeing your progress and if I was there, I'd definitely pat you on the back. No, if I were there it'd be a SMILE and a BIG HUG!

Congrats on your job well done. Dare I ask what's next? :-)

Kathy said...

Thanks friend, I knew you'd enjoy it. :)

Next? I need to finish up the boys' closet, (I've done their clothes, but I still need to go through socks/shoes and find a better place for their scrapbooks, and the thorn in my side: imaginext pirate toys. ugh.) then the linen closet, then I think I'll tackle our bathroom....It all takes such a long time. But I'm starting to notice a difference. I'm determined to see it through. :) Once it warms up it'll be onto the garage. That'll be fun.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. It's nice to have someone share in my excitement. :)
K.