These photos are unedited, and not chronological. Just documenting.
One day Kaitlin made this Kitty mask. Is it not the best? I'm sure really comfortable too.
I asked her what she'd like to be called at Kindergarten. (She has so many nicknames I thought I'd ask her opinion). Her choice?
"Kitti. Kitten."
Hmmmm....maybe we won't make it her choice.
Matthew played basketball through the winter. I was the coloring book/crayon mom. The kids knew where to come and find them and would line up and color. Worked like a charm. Loved basketball. Warm. Dry. In & out in hour. My kind of sport.
Fun at the park! Any sunny day during winter/spring is capitalized on. I love that we have a park close by that we can just stop off at easily. And you're always bound to run into someone there.
Kitti asked to pick a flower. I am always SO happy when these bulbs pop up. She looks like she has a bad combover here. :)
(My silouette is to the right of Dan's hand in the photo above. Our friend Zack is to the left of me).
I think I mentioned before that Dan chaired the "Communications committee" for the Capital Campaign for our church remodel. This photo was taken at the commitment breakfast. The charter members of our church signed a paper when they founded Columbia Pres. We did something similar at this breakfast with everyone present signing and marking this new chapter in the Life of Columbia. I knew this was the culmination of a lot of hard work for Dan (and many, many others) so wanted to get a picture of him taking the kids to sign their names. These will be up in the church when it is reopened. We are currently attending worship at a local highschool while the church is remodeled.
During the school year, every few weeks on a Thursday we'd meet friends at the public library. Returning the books is big time fun as you get to watch them ride on conveyor belts and fall off into bins.
I snapped this outside of Target on a fall day. She looks like such a big kid.
This isn't an iphone pic but one that I discovered on a memory card. I turned around one day to see Kaitlin like this. She thinks every time it rains it's time for hot chocolate. She got everything out and ready to go...just waiting on Mama to say "okay!" And really, how could I say "no" ?
Matthew's open house in October. It's amazing the variety of experiences we have at these meetings. :) School comes easily for Matthew. He loves to learn, and the structure of school suits him. So we're always in and out and on our way with a pat on the back and a "great job!" And I don't take that for granted for a minute.
Matthew's artwork pictured above. School is so different from when I was a kid. I'm continually amazed at what they do and the opportunities they have. I feel very blessed to be in a school district that has great public school.
Matthew is rarely sick. (Didn't get sick a single day last school year!) And when he does, he kicks it within a day. He is such a healthy kid. He was down with a fever for a day this year and I had to take a picture of those pink, freckled cheeks. And perhaps I shouldn't confess this but I love when my kids are (not seriously) sick and the schedule is cleared for the day! (He was better the next day).
I caved and gave Kitti a ride on the carousel at the mall one day.
She's my party girl.
Katie ran errands with these 2 cuties one day after preschool and sent this photo along. They happened to be wearing the same dress and were so cute.
My Mom is a shopper. And she loves to buy clothes for the kids. She doesn't always see them in their sweet outfits so I photograph them from time to time. I looked at Kaitlin on this day and realized the shirt, vest and pants were courtesy of Nana, so a photo was in order. And Kaitlin always likes to hold something in pictures, hence the prop.
Even the shoes were from Nana. Thank you, Nana!!!
Dinnertime.
Ah, dinnertime.
Such misery in our house.
M-i-s-e-r-y.
Here is Kaitln's St. Patrick's Day dinner.
Her expression says it all. She LOVED it.
ha.
One night she had a carrot in her mouth for 40 minutes.
Forty minutes of crying with a carrot in her mouth.
I'm not sure when this gets easier, but it's safe to say that Dan and I both loathe dinner time.
We're trying, that's all I can say.
My friend Diane and I exchange late night texts the night before holidays from time to time as we're up doing fun things for the kids. This was a photo I sent off one evening as I was scrounging to find things to put this table together. I was so glad I bought green pears that week! :)
I pulled the hide a bed out for family movie night and the kids were THRILLED. We left it out until it made me crazy, but the kids had loads of fun with this.
We live on a very big, very steep hill. The street is tree lined and one of the things I love is when they bloom in spring. I couldn't resist photographing them this spring. This is the start of the hill.
Up, up you go (we're one of the first streets to close when it snows).
And you make the turn and go up some more!
Almost there!
And this photo was taken on a different day, but I came home one afternoon to find a rainbow above our house.
That is our Portland winter sky. You can see why we are so happy when the sun comes out! (And why we tend to be Vitamin D deficient!)
Matthew had his first Science test and he got a 100%! A great accomplishment.
Spring brought Easter Egg dying and a text to Grammie so she'd know what we were up to!
The first day of spring break also brought a car accident. Courtesy of Dan. And my first words were not, "Are you okay?" Nope. They were, "Was it your fault?"
He did a smashing good job.
Started in the front and got both fenders, both doors, and both wheels. We had a rental for 3 weeks and they had to order new doors. Thank goodness for insurance. Amen?
Our "Wendy's" girls. These two beg to go to Wendy's for chicken nuggets and a mini frosty.
Biggest treat ever.
Matthew placed 6th in the school Box tops competition. He won a large papa murphy's pizza!
After a certain number of "Fox Positives" (maybe 17?) you get a ribbon. It was ribbon day for Andrew! A proud moment, for sure.
The kids went to spend a few days with Grammie and Grandpa over spring break. We met for the trade off. Andrew always worries about missing me but he had a great time. How heartbreaking is his face? I'm telling you the child has the saddest expressions!
While the kids were away we enjoyed dinner out with Mike and Michelle who were also enjoying some independence. This was our appetizer tray. They are more adventurous eaters than I am, as you can see from the baby octopus. They all ate it! This reminded me that I have to work harder at not saying things like "Ewww!" about food people are eating. It is after all, rude.
The food was amazing. The company was wonderful. A great night out.
When the kids returned home we were going to go to the zoo, but after a late start there were no parking spots left! Surprisingly, I couldn't find the overflow parking lot (my sense of direction is notoriously pathetic). The kids were disappointed but were good sports and happily settled for Esther Short park.
Spring break also brought a movie with Shannon's girls!
A trip to the Library for more books/audio books! We love the library.
Agreed.
My boys. Matthew at bat & Dan behind the plate.
I bought these shoes and put them away for the Bug for a special trip...she found them! Love the writing on her foot.
I have really struggled to stay on top of my house this year. Getting my bathroom clean made me so happy on this day that I took a picture of it. It does not look like this right now, but I am hoping by tuesday it will.
Church with my littles.
Grammie and Grandpa did a great job wearing the kids out. Kaitlin sleeping in her fancy dress that Grammie bought for her on our way back home. In the rental van.
Love the floppy head.
Our last hurrah before going to pick up the kids. We had lunch at Tommy O's. Which has subsequently closed the location by our house to our dismay! We love this restaurant and will miss it's proximity. I don't look this rested anymore.
The day before we got the kids we lazed around and watched movies. Twilight pizza and The Hobbit. Fun, fun.
Field trip to the World Forestry Center with Andrew.
Dan spent his Wednesday evenings over the last school year at church helping out with K2 Live (youth group). I was able to go on "Family night" and see what they've been up to. It's a great program and I'm so glad Dan made this commitment this past year. I know it was a special time for him and Matthew and I'm grateful that it's a priority to Dan to help Matthew grow in his faith. I overheard Matthew say to a friend from school who was here for a playdate the other day, "I like church, it's fun!" That made me really happy.
Putting his K2 memory book together.
This was a tough year. Come spring I was DONE. Matthew was game for a paper chain to help us count the days down and make it through....
We had one for pre-school (left door), one for grade school (left wall), one for therapy (right).
Andrew went to a birthday party at a trampoline park. He sprained his ankle. Consequently he won't go back and even chose to not jump at Claire's party (but did go for cake ~ he did want to celebrate with Claire, and didn't want her to be sad).
My boy.
A full house in the van today! Carpool. Ah, carpool. Notice Kaitlin pouting? Safe to say, pre-school carpool brought out the worst in our children. But we love them anyway! :) I think all of us mom's dreaded when it was our turn to drive carpool! And we're good enough friends to admit it!
Kitti wanted to make a dress out of this tissue paper. I obliged. It tore. She was not happy. There was no explaining that tissue paper is not as strong as fabric. It was just too sad. It's hard when real life won't cooperate with your imagination.
At the stop sign after pick up. Kaitlin was doing the "Fox" sign out the window. She is ready to be a Fox!
I love when Kaitlin disappears and a princess turns up. Knights and Pirates don't come to visit so often anymore so I am savoring this royal treat.
Matthew was so excited to be getting this new book he asked to ride in the cart and read. Do love this boy so very much. He was such a challenge as a baby. Such a joy as a child.
Ready to plant! I love to garden and wish I had more time (and talent) for it. Someday!
This is how I "virtually" shop with my friends. And no, I'm not planning on wearing these two things together. But it is kind of fun.
The dreaded Kindergarten immunizations! I came prepared with that little lolly in Kitti's hand. Wish I would have thought of that when the boys were little! The tears ended much faster!
Andrew loved being rolled up in this hammock at OT. Clearly not claustrophobic! He loved anything that gave him "sensory input" ~ pressure, texture, etc. I would not enjoy this at all.
I went and did Mom's garage sale with her. Our van was loaded to the brim! And our Disney Fund was the better for it! Love trading stuff for an experience! I am still working on cleaning out my house and am really making progress. It's been a long road, but I'm starting to really see the fruits and am optimistic we can wrap this task up this summer. I really want to live more simply. Not minimally mind you, but simply. (Which would still probably qualify as "complicated" for others, but it's all relative, right?)
Dan and I went out for my 39th birthday. We snuck away during Matthew's baseball game to a restaurant nearby. It was so funny ~ nothing went right! From Dan's dinner being wrong (and the right one taking a LONG time to cook after I was finished eating....)
....to the flame on our tableside S'mores just refusing to stay lit. Our waiter was so flustered I think he just wanted us leave!
Thankfully, Dan has a sense of humor about everything!
I enjoy good food. But probably could not be called a "foodie" as I really am a comfort food kind of girl. I had homemade mac, grilled cheese and tomato soup. I know that's not really cool. But there you have it.
We texted this to Grammie to ask how she'd like her Mother's Day gift delivered. We thought this would be perfect by her front porch. So welcoming.
This was Kitti's next choice for Grammie. Not quite Grammie's taste. But I do love some bling.
Shannon sweetly brought ice cream to the park on the first Wed that Andrew and I didn't have to drive for OT. A much better way to spend the afternoon!
We went through all the shoes one day to find out what fits and what doesn't. (A constant task). My kids grow like weeds but their feet don't! Matthew still had quite a few that fit. Yay!
My van is 5 years old and has around 92,000 miles on it. We bought it new in 2008.
It's pretty much my second home. The mileage confirms it.
And since I still have scads of photos we'll stop there and call it a night.
That's a little
2 comments:
Capturing life on day at time ~ too much fun! Love the dressing room outfit ~ I've actually seen the combo worn by many!
Hope summer is off to a great start!
Jo
I love these type of posts, Kathy - such a great way to capture the special in the every day! I can't get over Kitti's "dinner" for St. Patrick's day or her face...oh the injustice!
Post a Comment