Saturday, June 1, 2013

Easter Traditions

(I can't believe that it is June 1 and I'm posting about EASTER!) Easter Egg Collage

It is our tradition to dye eggs the day before Easter, after the Easter Egg hunt.  On this particular day, my mom was heading to New Orleans with some friends and so I drove them to the airport prior to decorating eggs.  I have to include their photo because they are so cute and funny together.  I have to say, I enjoy hanging out with them too!

 egg coloring

Patti is in the middle ~ she is a teacher and was part of Mom's original grief group. Gail is on the far right and she works with Mom.  She was invited to join the grief group (they still meet on mondays for dinner) after the first year was over and they continued to meet on their own.

Their personalities are really fun and Dan said they remind him of a group of teenage girls they are just always laughing, telling stories and having fun.  You wouldn't believe some of the adventures they have traveling!  They are all widowed and I am so glad that my mom has friends like these that she enjoys.  She doesn't sit at home feeling lonely.  Though she misses Dad, she is out traveling and having fun and I am really proud of her.  

While the kids were waiting for me to get things ready they played outside with a hammer, nails, wood and yes, I do believe a saw (gasp).  I've come a long way from my early over-protective days of parenting.

egg coloring-2


And I included a comprehensive safety talk which was comprised of me opening the back door and calling out, "Be Careful!"

After all, things can be sewn back in place, right?

egg coloring-3

They had a BALL.

Matthew is a builder at heart.  He has been building since he had the motor skills to do it.  It is his passion and clearly where we need to find opportunities for him to explore.  On this day, he built this little stand for his mini figures.....

egg coloring-7-2

My little engineer....

egg coloring-6-2

Then it was time to decorate eggs!

egg coloring-4

I love to get in on the fun too.

We did 12 last year and it simply wasn't enough.  So we did 18 this year!  Andrew and Dan love to eat them, so they are gone in no time.

egg coloring-3-2

Matthew and his bunny egg that he created with a wax crayon.

egg coloring-5

We've lost many an egg to Andrew's little hands during this tradition.  But I'm proud to say this year he didn't break a single one!  In fact, I think it was me who broke one!

egg coloring-7

I love this picture of Kitti.  Crafting is SERIOUS business!  The kids were all so self sufficient this year! And the Bug LOVED this.

egg coloring-2-2

Her little hands were covered in dye (who needs to use a spoon when you have hands?!) and I was glad I had little white gloves ready for Easter Sunday.

egg coloring-6

Long after the boys finished, Kaitlin sat at the table quietly embellishing the eggs.  She loves to craft and was busy for quite a while.  After all, if a little is good, more is better! 

egg coloring-10

Examining her next empty canvas.

egg coloring-8

Tada!

Our next tradition are Resurrection rolls.  I love how this brings the resurrection story to life for the kids.  A marshmallow dipped in butter, sugar/cinnamon is wrapped inside of a crescent roll.  (Just as Jesus' body was prepared with spices and placed in a tomb). 

egg coloring-4-2

egg coloring-11

The wrapping part can be a little hard.

egg coloring-3-4

Some looked more like squashed balls, but it's all about the process.

egg coloring-5-2

The most important part is getting the sides sealed so marshmallow doesn't ooze all over.

After they are baked, and bitten into ~ the marshmallow is gone!!

He is risen!

Meanwhile, Dan made an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G stuffed cabbage.

egg coloring-9

It was sooooo good.  This was right before it went on the grill.  It has chicken italian sausage, bacon, cheese, sauted red onion and homemade BBQ sauce.

egg coloring-2-3

That night, as I was getting ready for Easter.  Matthew folded some cute little origami bunny napkins.  We tried to do it with the cloth ones, but couldn't get it to work.  He did manage it with these.

 egg coloring-8-2

He is an origami master of sorts.  :)  It's fun to include the kids with the holiday preparations.  They went to bed VERY excited for Easter the next day!

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Your Mom and her buddies make me smile and although I have just heard a few stories, I know they have fun where ever they go. Kaitlin needs to come help me dye fabric! She could have rainbow fingers like I do. Matthew's shelf took me back to working in Dad's shop. Andrew's smile says it all. Bliss!

Jo said...

Last week it was snowing here {yes, you read that correctly} so an Easter post seems right on schedule!:) Love the family traditions and the special memories they hold. Everyone looks like they're having such a great time. You're parenting advice while using sharp and dangerous objects is spot on! Ha.

I've never thought of stuffing a whole cabbage ~ great idea! Even better was Dan making dinner ;)

Have a great weekend ~
Jo