Monday, May 6, 2013

Cute things & Checking in

 tulips

(An unrelated photo ~ one of many things I need to blog about!)

As Dan looked into the rearview mirror yesterday at the boys listening to their ipods in the van he remarked at how quickly the kids are changing.  Kaitlin is changing by the minute as well, saying things like,

"It really freaked me out!!"

?!?!

And then when I look at her in response,

"What?!  I'm serious!!!"

Oh my word.

But there are still the small remains of her newness to this world and the language she is still learning.  One hold over is how she adds -ed to things.  Most commonly,

"I dided it!"

"I haveded breakfast."

and this....
 
Mama, "Can I have is some Milk?"  :)

Those little things make me smile, because the strings to that sweet little kid world are untying and slipping away faster than I'd like.

~

I thought I'd just do a very quick check in to explain my absence...there is just no time to blog these days.  I have so much I want to post, and will, but I just can't get to it right now.  The time between spring break and summer is starting to feel like a sprint to the finish line each school year.  I'm sure most parents of school aged children can relate to this.   It's packed with end of the year projects, school performances, staff appreciation events, field trips, pre-school "fun day" party (thrown by the parents ~ which we all have honestly grown to dread! "Fun" for who?! :) can you tell my attitude is disintegrating?), Kindergarten immunizations/registration/round up,  a ballet recital, an online photography class (I clearly signed up in a moment of high optimism about my ability to balance things) a new therapy route for Andrew to research and set up for next year, along with meetings with teacher/school to set him up for 2nd grade,  to name a few things on the list currently & upcoming.

This year, Little League is about to put me over the edge (we have 27 games, averaging 4/week + practices!  I am secretly hoping one of the boys decides that baseball is not the sport for him.  I clearly do not have the passion for this sport as those who do the planning as I sit and gripe in the stands about how the games are way too long & numerous for children this age. (Though I DO enjoy a game on a sunny day with friends in the stand)...we're trying to wrap up Andrew's iLS (we're both hanging on by our fingernails where that is concerned), throw in an anniversary, and 3 family birthdays between the end of may & end of school and things get a little busy.  

I am sure most of my friends could write a couple paragraphs equally long,  peppered with their own unique commitments.  (I don't mean to sound like I am the only one scrambling around right now) It's just that time of year!

So we are pretty much living day to day right now.  Taking care of what needs to be done for that day and trying to be ready for the next.  A bit of survival mode.  But we'll get through, and yes, I'll even smile and have fun on "Fun Day"! 

Our way to cope is this:

The paper chain.

We have a paper chain for the end of the boys' school.

One for pre-school.

One for ILS.

And we all celebrate when one of those little circles is torn off each day.

It means white space on the calendar is coming.  (Which I am guarding like a pit bull).
Some freedom and flexibility from schedules and obligations.
It means time with family and friends and a week at the beach!
It means picnics and park time, sunshine and sprinklers and S'Mores and popscicles.

I simply cannot wait!

I LOVE summer!!

No comments: