Sunday, January 13, 2013

Christmas Eve ~ Part 1

 xmas eve brunch

Our holiday celebration stretches for two days.  It really feels more like we have two Christmases (and this year, three!)  Christmas Eve is the more formal, festive day, and Christmas day tends to be more relaxed and casual.  It's a balance I've grown to love.

 xmas eve brunch-2

Christmas Eve is a really busy, really fun day in our family so this is a long post that I'm going to break up so that I can include all the details that I want to remember.

First, I simply captured some photos of the house before everyone arrived that day.  This is probably one of my favorite moments during the holiday.  All (or nearly all!) of the preparations are finally complete, the house is in order and we are simply waiting in anticipation for family to start arriving.

xmas eve brunch-3

I love this little angel.

xmas eve brunch-2-2

I really enjoy taking still life photos.  This is a fun part of the holiday for me.

xmas eve brunch-5

I set a formal table for brunch and Christmas day is easy and casual so we can just enjoy being together with less additional work.  I know everyone would be happy with a casual christmas Eve as well, but I enjoy doing this.

xmas eve brunch-4

Mom started the tradition of English Crackers at brunch when we were newlyweds.  I'm not sure when I started the tradition of Christmas morning Santa sugar cookies, but I think it was before we had kids.

xmas eve brunch-6

This year Matthew asked if we would have the cookies on the table.  I made me happy that he anticipated this tradition.

xmas eve brunch-7

Sweet carolers.

xmas eve brunch-8

Our living room is in mercury glass and silver, while the family room is just cheerful and fun.

xmas eve brunch-10

The front entry.

xmas eve brunch-11

For Jeannie.  :)  I can't tell you how much I loved the paperwhites.

 xmas eve brunch-9

And these two were so cute decorating the doorway while waiting for cousins to arrive.  They couldn't wait.  :)  Michelle said that Noah was counting down the minutes in the car.  What a sweet blessing to have family that they love so much.  The "Christmas Mail" holder is a decoration from my childhood.  It's a felt piece that my mom made.  It has little beads and sequins & I loved it as a child. I now love having it hang in my house.

xmas eve brunch-12

And this would be the reason I am dieting right now!

I spend a LOT of time baking the week before Christmas.  I make cookie boxes for friends and cookies for our table.    Mom brought some up as well, and Winnie brought her wreaths which aren't pictured, but it just wouldn't be Christmas without them!  I love to bake Christmas cookies and with the exception of the sugar cookies, I only bake these treats this time of the year so that they remain special and just part of our Christmas celebration.  Some of these recipes are favorites from my childhood and some are traditions I have started. And I always try a new one each year.  This year it was an macadamia nut eggnog cream cookie.  Dan loved it.

xmas eve brunch-13

More treats!

Up next, the fun begins!!









2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh Kathy, your home looks so beautiful and festive. I loved the photo of the two elves waiting for their cousins. You could never have posed a better photo. Please tell Kaitlin that I am so impressed with her ability to grow paperwhite so tall and straight! They were beautiful. Mine always rival the leaning tower of Pisa. :0

Andria said...

Absolutely stunning, magical Christmas home, filled with love and treasured memories.