The last weekend before school started we took the kids golfing. What fun!! The kids loved it and so did we. My Dad taught both Dan and I how to golf. He used to sit on his back patio and critique people's swings. :) He used to golf daily and loved the game. Like all things that interested him, he carefully studied it and knew allll, about it.
Being in the golf cart just brought back so many sweet memories of time spent with my Dad bumping along the paths. Dan and I did some golfing together before kids, but most of my memories are with my Dad, so there was this strong association and so wonderful to have this experience that brought some vivid memories of him. It did make me miss him as often that day I would have liked his advice! But I just felt so grateful for those memories. For the time spent together. I felt like this day wouldn't have been possible without him taking the time to teach me the game and give me an appreciation for it, so this day even felt like a gift from him.
(Doesn't get much cuter than little kids in collared shirts and plaid shorts). :)
I haven't been golfing since before Matthew was born so I was nervous about even being able to play anymore. In fact, it was a little strange to slip my hand into my glove that sported the name of a course that I played when I was working in Pharmaceutical sales. Was that really me at one time? This game was a part of life before I became a mom, and that life feels so far away. It felt strange, but good to in a small way to reacquaint this Mom with the old "me" .
My first drive was a slice, and many were after that as well as I often found myself in the rough, but the last hole I played completely down the fairway and had a few great hits along the way, that always provoked the comment, "Oh, Dad would have loved that!"
We let the kids drive the golf carts. They loooved it (and we did get in trouble for it). :) Such irresponsible parents....
What can I say? Sometimes you just need to have a little fun. The surprising thing was, Andrew was a much better driver than Matthew! (He noticed and was a little upset about it!) Who says the wii isn't good for you ~ those hours of MarioKart wii totally paid off! :)
Andrew was also a fan of the
We let the kids tee off a couple of times, and then just let them hit from our balls and putt in on the green. The group behind us were literally playing speed golf ~ running from ball to ball! So we felt like we needed to keep the kids moving along, and actually kept pace surprisingly well.
The sand traps were a hit as well.
Matthew loves golf. Yet another way he is like my Dad. The game completely suits him, and I do hope all the kids enjoy playing. Matthew's clubs are waaay to small for him. Nana is coming through with some new ones for the boys for Christmas. Definitely a special gift.
We ended the game at the 9th hole and headed to the clubhouse for lunch. While I think we'll be spending most of our time just hitting balls (we all need the practice), this was a special treat. I hope we make many more family memories like this!
No comments:
Post a Comment