Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Quick Check In/The Ugly Truth

I just wrote a post and then deleted it because I hate listening to myself complain.  I just hate it.  It feels great to vent and then I don't like myself any more because of it.  Usually I like myself less and feel guilty and ungrateful.  So I'm resolving to not complain.  At least for now.

I just wanted to quickly check in to say that we're still here....life is just happening like the speed of light these days.  I am continued to be challenged by the combination of our school/activity schedule this year and am anxiously counting down the days until summer.  

I'm quite proud of that last sentence, because I could dissect it into about 159 complaints right now.  I'm having to check my attitude a lot which dissolves into me talking to myself.  Dan actually heard me today and asked if I was alright.  :)  Yes, just a little crazy, that's all.

Our schedule isn't all bad ~ there have been fun moments with friends and as a family too, which are welcome breaks from the routine of life.  ("Routine" sounds so calm compared to the chaos that it feels like).  Speaking of which, I had a moment of personal growth this week.  My house is a wreck.  It's not just a mess, it's in need of a serious clean.   And it's making me nuts.  (In fact, truth be told, I sort of flipped out at the kids about it tonight).  Anyway,  a friend dropped by and even though my house was in disrepair, I invited her in.  I didn't make her stand and chat in my door way, where my mess is safely hidden (though if you look closely at the floors, you could discern what is happening throughout the rest of the house).  Nope, I invited her in to the messy, dirty reality of my world right now.  And guess what?  She's still my friend.  And instead of cleaning, I got to enjoy her company.  I'm working through my pride issues.  :) 

Another fun break in our routine is the fact that our swimsuits are packed for our little get away tomorrow.  I packed the bags this afternoon and then hid them. The kids have no idea we'll be headed out at 10am for Great Wolf Lodge!  They will be over the moon.  Kaitlin keeps asking to go swimming.  Talk about perfect timing.   Personally, I'm excited to sit in the car for 2 hours.

And one lat aside...the kids are so desperate for a pet that they are adopting ants in plastic baggies and are begging for even a "worm."  Matthew has a meal worm at school ~ his
"very own that I get to take care of ~ it's almost like having my very own dog!" He came home and drew a picture of him holding his meal worm.  The Bug and Andrew hang on his every word when he climbs into the van at the end of the day and excitedly tells tales of his worm and what it did. 
"He's so cute, Mama.  He really likes me too, he snuggled my hand." 
"Awww, I wish I could meet him."  (Andrew)
"Me too!"  (Kaitlin).   
The meal worm is going to transform into a beetle and then the kids release them. 

Kaitlin keeps saying, "Is it almost time to get a dog yet?"  Um, judging by the looks of our house....no

:)

I'm really hoping to get Easter photos up soon....I'm so behind!

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

I'm sorry. I am laughing so hard at the pet worm! Perhaps a goldfish? I am proud of you for inviting your guest inside. You get a couple of gold stars! It took me forever to learn to let go of the clean house thing. It still bothers me sometimes. Have fun at the lodge! My family went there over Thanksgiving and had a blast.

Carwin said...

Love the connection of worms to dogs, you are so precious, Kathy, thanks for sharing!!!

Katie said...

Truth be told, seeing a little mess made me feel more normal...it's always comforting to know that our dear friends are human too! And I loved our time together, even knowing that we had a million other things to do. It was the perfect way to spend an hour, so thank you for I inviting me in! Hope you are having a fabulous time at Great Wolf Lodge.

Anonymous said...

That worm is a great idea - it grows up and leaves real soon. Now a goldfish would be the second choice - also hermit crabs! Remember yours and Mike's hermit crab - they lived about as long as you all were interested in taking care of them.

Rachel said...

You sharing "the ugly truth" is really cathartic for the rest of us! I hope your 2 hour drive (each way) was peaceful and that your trip was what you all needed!

Love,

Rachel