Sooooo....I've been indulging a little too much over the holidays. The above photo has become a nightly scene here. Among other things...perhaps a Christmas cookie or two on the side. (On a side note, the salted caramel is good but I prefer the original, plain hot chocolate).
Let's back up though.
After I had Kaitlin a group of us joined Weight Watchers online together. I wanted to lose my baby weight and so four of us joined online (there by NOT having to attend meetings) but just "met" as a group via email. We checked in on a specific day each week and reported our losses or gains. We sent emails occasionally (when inspiration struck) throughout the week when we had a tip to share (ie, a "Lean Cuisine" that was good, or horrible, or a recipe that was worth trying, or a snack that was helpful...or in the first couple weeks, to complain about how hungry we were!) It was great!! And the support helped SO much. I stuck with it and lost all my weight easily. Okay, not easily, it took will power. But I did it and the accountability to the group REALLY helped and was key.
So here I am again. Not with all the baby weight back, but up more than I'd like to be. My clothes are fitting tightly and as a dietician friend used to always say when I was growing up, "You can't afford to outgrow your wardrobe!" So true!
In addition to that, one of the things I really want to focus on this year is getting healthy. Being better about the vitamins/supplements I'm supposed to take that are specific to my family history risks. Getting my cholesterol addressed. Exercising. And eating healthier (I have a horrible, horrible sweet tooth). Horrible.
My Dad had his first heart attack at the age of 37. My age. And while I don't feel like I'm going to be doing that any time soon (he had additional risk factors that I don't have), my cholesterol has been high since I was in my 20s...my cardiac risk ratio is elevated and family history isn't on my side. I'm supposed to be exercising and taking fish oil to see if we can raise my good cholesterol and lower my risk...if not, then start medication. So I've been feeling guilty about not doing all of that. My Dad was always so good about taking care of himself and I always appreciated that. I know it gave us more time with him, and I want to keep my health as good as possible so I can chase after grand kids someday!
Enter Weight Watchers. Including me, I have gathered a group of five people (a fun, non-threatening group, mind you) who are on board to join and start together next monday. So I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else is interested...in need of accountability/encouragement/commiseration. If so, leave a comment ~ I will NOT be posting it, so you won't be outed on the blog. :) (I just posted a comment that wasn't related to joining, so thought I should clarify ~ if you say you want to be included in the group, only I will see that comment and won't publish it on the blog). But I'll send an email out to our little support group soon. Anyone is welcome!
Let the weight loss begin!!
1 comment:
Kathy, just FYI, I think you look fabulous!!! That said, the way we look does not always reflect what's going on inside and I know you have some health issues that are important to address so they don't limit you later. Good for you for being transparent and for encouraging/motivating others to join you!!
Love,
Rachel ;-)
Post a Comment