Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Dan!!

This is the 18th birthday that I will get to celebrate with Dan.
When Dan and I started dating he was counting down the days until his 21st birthday!

It's amazing to think our journey together began 18 years ago.


That is our engagement picture (14 years ago ~ we were engaged in Nov of '97). That's a sight!  :)

Time has passed so quickly, and yet so much has happened and we've both changed in so many ways.  This year as we celebrate Dan, I think some of the things that I am most grateful for at this stage in life are:

1.  His faithfulness.   I'm grateful that when our life approaches a crossroads he looks to God for guidance.  I've watched him recently be so diligent in prayer over a major decision.  It is something that I love about him, and it helps to give me peace about the decisions we make.  There have been times in my life that Dan's faithfulness has carried us both.

2.  His sense of humor.  Dan is fun and funny.  He definitely adds a lot of joy to our family and creates a happy atmosphere.  I love to hear him laugh.  And he can always make the kids laugh.

bauman17

3.  His dedication to continually grow in his faith and as a husband and father.  This is something that is really, really important to me.  And while life feels very busy these days with the kids, he still prioritizes things that will keep him growing even if it means less free time for himself.

4.  His ability to play with the kids.  I am horrible at "pretend play."  The truth is, I find it completely boring and I'm quite unimaginative.  I'm happy to set up the kids' toys with them and dress dollies, color, or play board games, or my favorite ~ to read with them.  But pretending that I'm a star wars action figure or batman is dead last on my fun list.  Dan however, is a fantastic playmate and gets on the floor with the kids and has all sorts of exciting action adventure scenes complete with noises. He's a fun Dad.

5.  This ties in with #4, but he's a great overall Father to our kids.  He asks each of the children about their day each night at dinner and asks questions to engage them in conversation.  The kids love this and are always talking over one another so we have to take turns and go around the table.  He's a firm disciplinarian and definitely requires respect from the children, but he earns it as well in the type of relationship he has with the kids. 

day272

He teaches them things and is always willing to have them be a part of his chores even when it would be easier not to.

day247

He's a great role model to our boys and loving example of Kaitlin.  I know he's providing a good model for her to remember when some day she chooses her own life mate.

beach trip tu tu pictures7

He's also very loving and affectionate.  There is no short supply of hugs or kisses in our house.

day142

6.  He sees the big picture.  While I can get lost in the details at times, (or maybe ALL the time), Dan is great at helping me to pull back and see things more clearly, or filter out what isn't important.  This helps me in so many ways.

There are many, many more things that I am grateful for, but at this stage of raising our family and in our day to day life, these things are at the top of the list!

Sweetheart, I am so grateful for you and all that you do for us, every day.

Have a Happy, Happy, Birthday!!!!!

beach day one6

I love you!!! (Even with the "manstache")! :)

7 comments:

Jeannie said...

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. Happy Birthday, Dan!

Rachel said...

Wonderful post, Kathy! Dan is a GREAT guy and I've enjoyed getting to know him very much. I still laugh when thinking about the Sunday incident between him and Zack. You chose wisely, friend!!

Shans said...

Hope Dan had a Terrific Birthday!!! He is a GREAT friend too!!

Happy Birthday from the Sturgis Family!

Dale Brunson said...

This is so great Kathy, you have really hit the nail on the head about Dan, we admire this man immensely and you and your family can really be happy he's there for you all. Happy Birthday Dan.

Anonymous said...

I'm so PROUD to call Dan my son-in-law. Walt loved that Big Guy. As a matter of fact, Walt and I were really blessed with our daughter-in-law and son-in-law. We couldn't have asked for better spouses for our children. They did well in choosing.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. I so relate to getting caught in the details. What a blessing to have someone to help you see the big picture in life!

JulieM said...

What a beautiful post about your husband Kathy! Hope he had a great birthday!