Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ballet Begins! (And a quick catch up)

ballet15

Katie has been talking about "dance class" since she was 2. She has been dreaming about this day for a long time. After I put her little outfit on I told her,
"You're a REAL ballerina!"
She smiled and said, "I'm a REAL ballerina?"
"Yes!" She hugged me and said,
"Thank you, Mama!"

Sweetness.

'Course a ballerina outfit presents a photo opportunity in our house.

ballet1

The Bug had to warm up first with a few plies. Then she struck her poses.

ballet2

ballet3

ballet5

Andrew was so cute. He was standing there watching and then gave a sigh and said, "All right, I'll dance with her."
Like I had been begging him.
I hadn't even thought of it or brought the topic up.
But you can see by his face he enjoyed it. And oh my, it made Kitti's day.

ballet4

They twirled and twirled.
Andrew is so sweet like that.

ballet6
I love this.
Look at his face. :)
Fun over. This was right before he declared himself "done." :)

ballet7

More posing.

ballet8

I liked the band aid under her tights.

ballet9

Sweet feet.

ballet10

I love things that are Pink and fluffy.
Probably why I like peonies.

ballet11

And then it was time to go!

ballet12

True to Katie's nature she joined in and was confident from the start. She had been waiting for this moment for a long time and so there wasn't a moment's hesitation.
Just like pre-school, she was ready to go!

ballet13

Sweet Gracie wasn't so sure at first.  Shannon ended up doing part of the class with her and then she had fun.  She just needed a little warm up time.

ballet14

I think Katie has observed her middle brother enough to adopt some of his silliness. :)

ballet17

The class did really well and the instructor said it was a great class. They were very attentive, she said it was very unusual.

ballet16

There was bar work as well. Being serious ballerinas & all.

ballet18

More pinkness.

ballet19

The girls were given balloons. (That Mama accidentally released when I was buckling Katie into her seat. Ooops).

ballet20

Our pretty ballerinas.
It was a wonderful lesson. The only hiccup is that they do Tap during her class as well (but not the first day), and Katie is emphatic that she does NOT want to do tap. ONLY ballet. We'll see how that goes.....

On to other things.  Matthew is always building, building, building with Legos.  He's really good at it and has such a passion for it.  Here is one of his contraptions.  A mixer!

sept2

sept3

He made chocolate milk for Andrew and Katie one night.  He builds things from his imagination that are impressive and can definitely read the lego instruction manuals better than I can.  He's very spatially oriented.  He did NOT get that from me. 

And as you read the next part, please know that I'm not trying to complain (though I do find myself complaining in real life sometimes and I had a conversation with myself today about stopping that!  I hate listening to myself complain about something that I can control and made a choice to do.)  But I really do want to record what life is like right now as it continually changes and this is where we're at.   I feel a little like I did the semester in college when I decided to take 18 credits (which being a chem major there was a lab in there that was a one credit class but 3 hours of time ~ I always felt lik that was so unfair).  And I was teaching two quiz sections of Chem 101 which meant teaching two 3 hour lab sections, holding two one hour quiz sections, and holding office hours plus grading two classes of labs/homework each week.  I was crazy busy.  I liked to push myself but I definitely felt maxed that semester.

I'm feeling  a little like that right now. Our fall schedule is ramping up and we add something each week as activities start up. (This week my bible study starts along with volunteering in the boys' classrooms on Friday afternoon ~ trading off one each week). Next week we'll add tennis in for Matthew once a week and we'll officially have something every day of the week including saturday and sunday.  We're taking a great parenting class on Sunday mornings at church that I'm SO glad we're taking it just definitely feels like a sacrifice of time adding in the extra hour at church when our weekdays are so full already.  But it's an important topic (Spiritual Parenting) ~ one that I know very little about and is the highest priority to Dan and I, so we really want to go.  Our whole small group is taking it, so that is really fun.

It is going to be a busy, busy year. By far the busiest we've had. Dan said this will probably be the worst ~ at least for a while...simply because of the 3 different school schedule logistics coupled with the activities. I'm just coming and going throughout the day so my days are very chopped up, and am continually transitioning the kids.  It's a little nuts and I didn't help matters by adding in activities. So please don't read this in a complaining tone ~ I've certainly had a hand in it and I know most parents feel this way. It'll be much better when November starts and Tae Kwon Do, Tennis and Soccer will all be over. It'll help a LOT. I'm just hanging on and trying to be as efficient and organized as possible until then.  I'm pretty much just always in motion right now.  Again, really trying to not sound like I'm complaining I know there are people who are much busier than me with far more responsibility (I always think of single working Moms ~ my hat is off to them!)  Anyway, I'm sure I'll figure out the best way to manage things after a couple more weeks and it'll be better.  That's how it usually goes with each new school year/change.

In other news, Andrew is adjusting so well to school!  I am both surprised and SO happy and proud of him.  I have not heard ONE word from his Kindergarten teacher (since her initial encouraging call)!  This is a first.  :)  I am anxious to go in on Friday and hear/see first hand how he's doing, but Andrew is reporting that he's making good choices!  I think he'd tell me if he was doing otherwise.  He is however, tired.   He has never had so much on his plate before.  He has Kindergarten, Tae Kwon Do twice a week and soccer twice a week (he LOVES it).  I wouldn't normally do two activities at once but the Tae Kwon Do is a 6 mo commitment and Andrew really wanted to try soccer ~ which I'm very glad we did.  It's a lot, but he is managing it so well.  Amazingly well, for our little guy.

I tucked him into the sofa one morning with a movie when we had some time at hom and just let him rest.  I am really, really proud of him.

sept1

He looked so snuggly in there.

And now, I need to head to bed as another week starts up tomorrow and Mon/Tues are my busiest days.

'NIght!

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Kathy, your photography is simply beautiful, especially the black & white. The top one with Kitti is a Hallmark card if I ever saw one. Take care and remember to throw in a movie and snuggle on the couch yourself every once in a while and recharge.

Kristen said...

Hang in there - you'll get your groove. It's taken our family about two weeks and a complete overhaul of how I organize our lives to get us on the right track.

One thing that I did was invest in a huge (and I mean wall sized) calendar. It's corkboard (someday I'd like to upgrade to magnetic whiteboard - but it works for now.) Each day has a space about 5x7 inches - and then I move the dates around with each month.

I'm able to clearly mark who has to be where - by color - as well as pin on actual invitations and project instructions and such on the day of the event or due date - so we have a visual reminder of when things are.

But I feel your pain - we're coming and going constantly. And we only have two kids in activities outside of school right now. I'm not sure how we'll manage it when Jack starts his own extra curricular activities.

The other tip (that you probably already know because you're a list maker and planner like me) is that I carefully plan out what we're doing for dinner - and try to prep as much as I can the night before. When I don't hit the door until close to 6 (on a good day) after work - I need to know exactly what needs to happen to get dinner on the table.

And, I'm learing how to use and appreciate my crock pot. The Test America kitchen has a good crock pot cookbook - that has the explanation of why things work and what will make them fail. So far we've had winners. Oh, and there's a new group on facebook - Crockpot Girls - where people post tried and true recipes on a daily basis.

All that to say - I wonder why I'm so tired at night - and kind of feel like I'm in a brain fog. I've had to let some things go - like my severely neglected blog - in order to do things like pack lunches, stay on top of laundry, and plan for the next day.

:)

And for what it's worth - I think you're doing an amazing job!

Kathy said...

Kristen, thank you for that great comment and commiseration. I always love to hear what works for other people and get ideas!

Thank you for the encouragement ~ you know I am always AMAZED at what you accomplish as a working mom!

Wish we could go out for a cup of coffee and talk ALL about it. :) Good luck this year and would love to see a pic of that huge calendar!!

K.

Rachel said...

Too much good stuff in here to focus on any one thing! I love the pictures of Katie preparing for dance and Andrew joining in - what a prince (I secretly hope he choses a non-ethnic girl simply so my girl is in the running!). Your life is crazy busy and I know ours will pick up real soon, but I'm sure enjoying the simplicity now. And I know you did too when your little ones were at home. Thanks for always encouraging me to find the best in each season. I enjoy seeing the joys of your season, especially the time with Andrew which is obviously very meaningful to him and you.
Love,
Rachel

JulieM said...

Kathy, it was sooo good to catch up today! What darling picture of your sweet little girl in her pink. She looks like she is eating it up. I love your time with Andrew and your conversations. I wish I could meet him, what a sweet heart he has. I think he and Shane could have some real fun together. Love the excitement for sugar cereal. I never had sugar cereal in our house but when we visited Leigh Ann it was a different story. He pantry was full so we called sugar cereal Arizona cereal. One thing I loved about her was her relaxed approach to life. She thought me a thing or two. The night before we left for the funeral Eric went out and stocked up on Arizona cereal fro the kids to have while we were gone. Every Sunday night is now officially "Arizona Cereal" night at our house. The kids love it of course and I love how it keeps Leigh Ann alive in our Sunday night conversations. I am pretty sure every time they eat sugar cereal in their lifetime they will remember Leigh Ann.