I love our airport. When I was travelling for work, I had favorite airports.
it usually had something to do with how light it was, how big it was (I prefer medium ones) and how easily I could find a Starbucks. Salt Lake City was a favorite. But I think we have one of the best.
Let's just pause here and say Yay for kids who are old enough to be responsible for their own backpacks!
We landed in Vegas after a bumpy descent and a squealing Kaitlin who thought it was like a carnival ride. We weren't even out of the airport and Matthew remarked, "There are a lot of Manly things here, aren't there?"
Not much gets by him.
Sometimes that's not good. Like in Las Vegas.
David met us at the Las Vegas airport (Starbucks readily available, thank you) and we went to Winnie's cousin's surprise 80th birthday party. Dan's aunts were there too, so we were able to meet up with everyone for a bit. (I wasn't thinking and dropped my camera off at the condo when we dropped off our luggage).
That night, Katie wanted to lay in our bed and have a snuggle. Then I just let her fall asleep there, holding my hand while I read my book until Dan took her to her own bed.
I love how she still looks like a little babe. With her dolly right by her face.
On a side note, I finished "The Help." One of the best books I've read. Ever. Highly recommend it.
Cannot wait to see the movie.
The next morning I thought it would be cute to take a photo of the kids in their sungalsses.
The Bug was NOT having it.
That's okay.
Insert Mama.
Don't we look touristy?
Then we headed to the strip!
I was excited to see it, as I've never been to Las Vegas before and was curious to see what it was all about. We thought during the day it would be okay to take the kids there. It was...for the most part.
First stop the M&M store. Hello Kitty was out front.
M&Ms in every color and flavor.
(For about 3 times the price of what you pay in the grocery store).
I thought this was an appropriate composition for the Las Vegas Blvd sign.
Matthew remarked as we were walking down the street that he was scared. I think he knew this place was a little different than anywhere we'd been before....At one point there were inappropriate cards all over the ground with ladies on them (you get the picture). Of course Matthew doesn't miss anything and as we were walking I kept telling him not to look at them.
We've had to have some talks we didn't anticipate at the age of eight.
We'd be driving during the weekend and a van would pull up next to us with a big billboard advertising ladies... Dan would say, "Look out Andrew's window kids!! Count the palm trees!!!" It was crazy.
The buildings were impressive to say the least.
It was fun to see all the different themes in the hotels. One of them had these beautiful crystals hanging through them. Here we are all hot and wilted in front of them. It was around 108 degrees. H-O-T.
The Bellagio was one of my favorite hotels. It was beautiful, with a gorgeous garden, and fountains that danced to music.
Katie wore her sunglasses, everywhere all day.
We walked a LOT.
Grandpa got his work out.
The kids were wiped. out.
We went to Circus Circus.
It sounded like it would be great for the kids.
It was old, dark, crowded and felt dirty with really overpriced games.
No need to go back there.
We caught the acrobat act above, played a few games and left with Andrew in exhausted tears.
We took the shuttle back.
Thank you Lord, for shuttles.
By now we all felt like this.
Andrew's hand, exploring his world.
Yes, Andrew did make it over that pole.
We went back to the condo and changed. The earrings that I'm wearing in this photo were my Grandmothers. I remember playing with them as a child. It was fun to wear them out.
Dan and I went back to The Bellagio and ate at a restaurant called "Olives."
My feet were really swollen from the heat, I had managed to barely get my sandals buckled and as we sat on the patio overlooking the dancing fountains my feet continued to swell into sausages.
The fountains were SO beautiful though, and I felt so lucky to get to sit and watch them and enjoy a delicious dinner with Dan.
He had the BEST drink called a Cable Car martini. It was SO good that we came home and googled it. We found the recipe and thought it was funny what it said under the title:
"Cable Car Martini
This is absolutely the most delicious tasting cocktail. I was introduced at the Bellagio Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, and I’ve been in love ever since. xoxo
- Combine liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, rimmed with cinnamon sugar."
Anyway, then the winds changed and when the fountains shot high into the air all the water fell on us! :)
They had to come wipe down our table (and everyone else's).
After that, the ladies held napkins over their heads and I ran to the back of the patio when the water shot really high. It was funny.
Our waiter was apologetic and I could tell he was relived when I told him it was okay that we have a sense of humor. He kept thanking us.
Afterward we went to see this:
Which was quite simply, amazing.
We were completely exhausted by the end of the evening, but so happy to have had such a special night out.
Las Vegas at night is different than during the day. It's busier, and everyone is dressed up. It feels festive and fun. There's also other less desirable parts too.... Dan and I were both fascinated by the people. I could have sat and people watched for hours. We saw 3 brides that night just in that one hotel!
A HUGE thank you to Dan's parents for keeping the kids so that we could have an evening out. It really felt like such an amazing treat. (And to Shannon for the great recommendations!)
Las Vegas is definitely a really interesting place!
4 comments:
You have been on the run this summer! Love the gold "bling" shirt ~ you cracked me up when you explained it over the phone. Such a wild woman! Ha. How fun to have such an exciting date night. You both look fabulous.
Sorry I missed your call. I'm really bad about keeping the ring tone loud enough to hear. I'll look forward to a chance call tomorrow :)
Jo
Give us a call when you break out the "Cable Car Martini" - we want to try with you! Glad you and Dan were able to get away alone, and that you are safely home! Looking forward to catching up!!!!!!!
So glad you had such a fun date night and my recommendations were a hit!! Ryan and I both wished we were there with you!!! I think we could do without the 108 temp but the company would be worth it :) I too love Bellagio!!! Glad you have experienced Las Vegas and yes I too could people watch for hours and hours!
Wow, what busy and fun times you have been having. Great photos and stories, you are really gifted Kathy.
Post a Comment