(A stuffy looking photo where I have dressed you up and groomed your hair isn't representative of you ~ but one that shows you experiencing life and the joy you have in that is perfectly who you are and what I adore about you).
When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
My Dearest Andrew,
You are now TWO hands old!
This was the year that you stopped saying, "Yuv" and started saying "love."
"I yuv you" has become "I love you."
"I yuv you" has become "I love you."
"Just a yittle bit" became "Just a little bit."
Your Daddy and I are more than a little sad about that.
Those words brought countless smiles to our faces, sweet boy, and when you made this transition your Daddy brought it to my attention and we had a moment of feeling a little sad that our yittle boy is growing up. :)
It's hard to let this little boy go, simply because you have been so especially sweet as a small child. But I take those memories with me, and will guard and treasure them in my heart.
I do still get glimpses of that "yittle boy" though....


(This is the position you would always play in as a little guy).

I do still get glimpses of that "yittle boy" though....
(This is the position you would always play in as a little guy).
I can hardly believe it.
At six you are a funny little boy. You have a great sense of humor, that sometimes runs away with you and gets you into trouble. :) Sometimes I wonder if years from now you will be the "class clown." You love to laugh and make other people laugh too.

(Your Nana loves this photo and thinks it is SO funny.)
An example of this is in Tae Kwon Do. One day they said, "Stand straight ahead at attention." You stood sideways. :) You do things like this often. Going slow motion when they request speed, etc. They are patient with you and the class has been good for you. Matthew really wants to do it as well, but we are holding off as we want you to have your special moment and your turn to shine a bit.
(Your Nana loves this photo and thinks it is SO funny.)
An example of this is in Tae Kwon Do. One day they said, "Stand straight ahead at attention." You stood sideways. :) You do things like this often. Going slow motion when they request speed, etc. They are patient with you and the class has been good for you. Matthew really wants to do it as well, but we are holding off as we want you to have your special moment and your turn to shine a bit.
You are loving and empathetic and very generous. At the core of your character is a lot of compassion and kindness. You have the softest, sweetest eyes and expressions that allowed you to get your way with your Mama for a loooong time.


It has always been hard for me to discipline you because your cry is such a sad, mournful cry that breaks my heart. However, as you get older and find your will and your glare, it has gotten easier. :)
It has always been hard for me to discipline you because your cry is such a sad, mournful cry that breaks my heart. However, as you get older and find your will and your glare, it has gotten easier. :)
You are all boy. You love knights, pirates, and super heroes. You love star wars. You love the wii and video games ~ we have to limit your time on these things.

(This is one of my all time favorite photos of you. It's SO you!)
(This is one of my all time favorite photos of you. It's SO you!)
I have to be honest and say though, that for you, this has been your most challenging age. Every child is challenging at different times (Matthew for example, was very challenging in his early years while that was a very sweet time for you). But you seem to struggle with following directions ~ even simple ones ~ and with impulse control. It makes day to day life frustrating at times (especially things like running errands or if we're in a hurry to do something). I think the reason for this behavior sometimes is that you get overwhelmed when there is too much going on and you genuinely struggle. But then there are moments when the reason is that you are just being passively defiant (you aren't much of a fit thrower, this is how you exert your control, simply by refusing to do things) ~ but it's hard to discern when you're being stubborn and when you're really needing extra help. I worry about hurting your spirit by expecting more of what you are capable of ~ as I've seen your frustration when that has happened ~ and yet a wise friend told me that children grow their self esteem through their own accomplishments. It made me very aware that I need to also push you a bit to be more independent at times. It's a dance I'm trying to learn, and I'm not very good at it yet. But I'm determined to figure out how to help you with this.

You also tend to struggle with being part of a structured group...it's hard for you to sit and follow instructions and are often the child getting in trouble when forced to participate in these situations. You aren't a sit at the table and do crafts kind of a kid. And this is why I'm a little anxious about your transition to Kindergarten. But we'll work through it. I'm certain we'll have our bumps in the road, but I'm getting pretty seasoned with handling that. Most of all, I just hope you have a teacher that focuses just as much on your strengths (because there are plenty) and the great things that I know you will contribute to the class, and will be patient in these other areas as you grow and mature and these things (hopefully) come easier to you.
I hope you know though, that even though you feel like you get in trouble a lot right now, I would never change you, sweetheart. We love you completely. These areas that can create challenges at times are also sources of joy (your sense of humor). And the other things, we will work through and figure out in time. I have no doubt that you were created perfectly for our family. And I have learned so much by being your Mom. It has forced me to grow and to learn things about myself (that I'm not always proud of) but it gives me the opportunity to try to be better myself. So you see, we're in this together and we're both learning and trying at the same time. I just want to be the best Mom I can be for you and help you grow into the best version of yourself as well.
However, you have no problems playing with children. You and are very friendly, social and make friends very easily wherever you go.
You share happily and put others before yourself. All your brother has to do is make a small comment about something he wants and even if its your favorite thing, or a toy that you've wanted for a LONG time and just received, you'll give it away to him. We've had to step in as your generosity can be exploited at times. :) But it's one of your sweetest traits and just a natural gift that you've always had.
On a lighter note, you love to swing. And I love to watch you swing from the kitchen window.
This was one of my all time favorite photos of you. It conveys your playfulness that is so much a part of you.
You adore Matthew, and you have a great relationship. You do fight occasionally, but you just gravitate toward each other wherever you are. You work great as a team because he orders you around and you are happy to follow orders. :)
(Notice again how you're squatting in this photo? :) )
I was walking by the guest room one day and saw the above scene and had to snap a photo. You two are always doing the same thing.
I hope you always stay close. I marvel at how your strengths are Matthew's challenges, and Matthew's strengths are your challenges. You complement each other perfectly.
You also play really well with Katie when Matthew is at school, but when Matty is home you prefer to play with him.
Though you do tease her at times, you are usually very sweet to her and she adores you.
This is a classic photo of you and your mix'n match jammies. I no longer match them in your drawer because you never put the matching tops and bottoms on. You like to make funny combinations. Again, with your sense of humor.
We started you in a new pre-school this year, but it wasn't a good fit for you. I homeschooled you instead. I enjoyed my time with you very much and will miss you next year when you are in school. I am glad that we have one more year together before you're in school full time.
I love your focused little face here.
This was another classic shot of you. I took you to the Dr. and I turned back around after talking with the Dr. to see that you had written all over your hands and on your face as well. By the time we ate lunch, did errands and made it back home a lot of it had worn off, but I still took a photo.
One of the things I love most about you is your exuberance for life and your joy. It just springs forth at times and it seems that your little body can hardly contain it. Nor can those around you help but to be affected by it.
Just a few of my favorite photos from this year.
I love your expressions. They are the best.
You are also very empathetic and have a very tender heart.
You and I are the softies in the family. This is the area of your personality I easily understand and is also why I feel so protective of you. I know your soft heart and I hate for you to be hurt.
I hope you always know wherever you go, and whatever you do, you have a Mom that loves you with all her heart. I'll always be here to cheer you on, offer support, a hug, a word of encouragement, or whatever you need.
I am very, very proud of you, Andrew. I am so grateful for you and the joy that you bring to our family. The tenderness, the humor, the happiness. Our family really is a happier place because of you. (Some of us can be a little too uptight at times!) You make us laugh, and keep things fun. You are such an important part of who we are as a family. I am so lucky to get to be your Mom. You can't imagine how much I love you, sweetheart.
Happy Birthday, muffin man.
I love you with all of my heart,
Mommy
4 comments:
A beautiful letter to a beautiful young man. Happy Birthday Sweet Andrew. I hope you dream big and live life to the fullest.
Your thoughtful, honest, kind, loving words are such an amazing reflection of a heart of gold, Kathy! Andrew is indeed a precious guy and one my son enjoys being around very much - and who Audrey proclaimed she would one day marry (can't remember the context but she meant it!). I love his generous, tender heart and those tender eyes! And even his spunk and humor. You are right, God made him perfect, even if challenges are wrapped up in it. Reading this makes me want to be a better mom, to love more deeply, and to appreciate each unique aspect of my kids' personalities. Thank you, my friend!
Such a special little guy filled to the brim of little boy goodness! He will treasure this later on in his life. The photos are such a cute peek into his life at the ripe old age of 6!
Hope you all had a great time last night ~ I was thinking of you all :)
Jo
Kathy what a beautiful post celebrating your sweet boy just the way God made him. You are such a wonderful mommy and your heart for your kids is so evident. Blessings to you and your sweet boy on this special day!
Julie
Post a Comment