Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Lego Birthday!

lego birthday 29

lego birthday 5

Matthew wanted a "Lego" party for his 8th birthday.  It was pretty easy and simple to plan.  Once I found some great websites for some inspiration. :)  Thank goodness for creative people!

This gal is so creative!  And was kind enough to share some great templates that I used.  I found most of my inspiration from her website and those that she credits on her blog as well, so if you're dong a Lego party, check it out.  I incorporated a LOT of her ideas.

Matthew wanted to go to the local bowling alley/arcade/sports restaurant that is nearby.  It's a great place, but it's really dark inside and since I had the dining room set up for his actual birthday already, I went ahead and just photographed everything at the house as I finished it.  I was so glad that I did as there wasn't any time to do it there (more on that later).  Not to mention I had a lot of fun taking the pictures. :)

So for my friends who share my love of cute little kid parties, I'll share the details of this one.

lego birthday 6

The invitation turned out so cute. I ordered it from Andersruff on Etsy. You can find them here. They were SO nice to work with. Their blog is here ~ they have lots of cute party ideas.  They also did the little printables that are on things like the "8" on the pinwheel holder above.  You can just buy the digital file and then print it off and use it wherever you'd like!  I printed them on sticker paper for the invitation envelopes and used them on the favor bags and Matthew's place card as well.  They turned out really cute!

The bubble wrap table runner was just painted green (along with portions of our garage floor) with cheap spray paint from Walmart.  The mini figure template was from the website I referenced at the beginning.  I found the square styrofoam with my craft supplies along with the circle ones that they sell at the dollar store and just sliced them and made them into a giant lego and spray painted it green too.  I just used toothpicks pushed through from the bottom to secure the circles on the styrofoam.  Matthew made the lego frame for the invitation. :)  And the pin wheels are from Hobby lobby.  Do I sound like a commercial?  Just trying to be helpful...  :)

lego birthday 7

lego birthday 8

The plates can be found at Walmart for 97 cents a package.  I found the red and white polka dot paper at the Dollar Spot at Target and cut it into placemats.

lego birthday 3

I made the little pom poms, but the other (what do you call them, sort of rosette looking things) were from Party City in the 4th of July section (there right now). I just secured a mini figure on it with a glue dot.

lego birthday 15

The name cards. I just cut a straw (that I had on hand ~ even in the right color ~ what luck!) and made it into a little stand.

lego birthday 10

lego birthday 11

Lego Candies at each place setting kept the children entertained while they waited for their pizza and when they were waiting for other kids to finish up. They actually fit together!

lego birthday 19

My mother in law brought back the Lego Minifigure mold from Germany for us and I was SO excited to have it for Matthew's party. I made little candy men out of them and it was REALLY easy. (For any locals ~ you're welcome to borrow it!) I found the sprinkles at Walmart the day before the party.

The cupcake liners are from Michael's.

lego birthday 25

For our kids with peanut allergies they had Lego candies on theirs because the candy coating was unfortunately processed somewhere that is exposed to peanuts.

lego birthday 21

Cake pops. Found, here.
I used an orange M&M to make the bump on top. You could see it a little through the candy coating. I would slice a mini marshmallow or use a yellow M&M next time. (I had used them all up on my cookies!) I used a edible ink pen to make the faces and it did not go well. I managed to get enough done for the kids to each have one with a face and then abandoned that at 12:15am and just left the other ones blank and put them in the back. I stuck them in a styrofoam lego brick and it turned out cute!

lego birthday 27

lego birthday 30

I colored the frosting to match M&Ms and made them into Lego cookies.  Matthew thought that was quite clever! :)

lego birthday 22

Matthew's favor bag.

Yes, Matthew received a favor bag at his own party.  Probably unnecessary in retrospect. :)

lego birthday 24

Some of the others.

lego birthday 28

And to keep it real. Here are Shannon and I at 11pm the night before finishing the favor bags and watching the last Oprah episode on my bed.  That's a friend.

lego birthday 17

The favors.

lego birthday 12

Another cute decoration made by Matthew.  He had fun getting to help with the decorations.

lego birthday 23

The cake.  Matthew requested white with cookies and cream filling.  I made an 8X8 and cut it in half and filled it.  The rest of the batter made the cupcakes for the kids.

The "Happy Birthday" bunting can be printed for free from the TomKat website, here.

I used the left over oreo filling  (just whipping cream with crushed oreos in it) to frost chocolate/white marble cupcakes for the adults at the party. 

lego birthday 31

They were delicious.

The best part of the party though, I saved for last....

lego birthday 26


Up next, the party!

:)

3 comments:

Shans said...

It was LOTS of fun!!! And such a cute party! Always happy to help...it gives us some girl time too :)

Rachel said...

I love the picture of you and Shannon - the thing memories are made of for sure! My kids, especially Samuel, are quickly becoming as obsessed with your blog as I am! Whenever they see me looking at it they run over and want to look at it too. I now tell them they can scroll through the pictures once I'm done enjoying the text! Samuel was oohing and aahhing the whole way through Matthew's party decorations! Now just don't let him get any ideas since his mommy has neither the creativity or drive to do half that you have done. It is amazing and so fun to see and your kids will marvel in years to come at their momma's love expressed through such uniquely individual parties for each of her loves!

Jo said...

What a fabulous over the top party! You know I'm all about the details :) You are such an amazing mom and Matthew is one lucky little guy! The smiles are so sweet as well as all of those goodies.

Jo