Friday, April 8, 2011

Baked Ham Recipe

My sister in law gave me this recipe. I think it came from the newspaper. It is the BEST ham. I'm just doing my menu planning for the next 2 weeks and this is on the menu for Easter dinner. I thought I would share this recipe ~ it's a family favorite. I'm one to always try new recipes but this is the Gold Standard Ham recipe ~ I never try any others because we love this one so much. And the best part ~ it's EASY, but doesn't taste like it! So, here it is!

15 lb. or 7-8lb shank-smoked bone in ham
1 1/2 c (1 jar) orange marmalade
1 c. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. whole cloves

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Set a rack on the lower middle level. Cut off excess fat and tough outer skin of ham. Put in large roasting pan. Score 1/2 in deep and 1 in. apart (criss cross). Roast 2 hrs. plain (or 1 1/2 hrs for a 7-8 lb ham).

Remove ham, increase oven temp to 350 degrees.

Put cloves at intersections and brush with glaze generously.

cook 1 1/2 hrs (15lb) or less for a 7-8lb ham brushing with glaze at least 3 times (this is the part that makes it so good! I am liberal with the glazing.)

Total cooking time 3 1/2 hrs for a 15 lb ham or until proper temp.

Rest 30 min before carving.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You know how much I love that ham recipe. It seems only fair to mention here that I AM planning to make it for Easter brunch. Just wanted you to be prepared for a "hammy" day. :-)

Jo said...

Oh yum! This sounds delicious ~ what time would you like us to arrive for Easter dinner :)

Jo

Brandi Newton said...

This IS the best ham ever. We have made it our 'ham standard' ever since that day with all of you- when we couldn't move away from the pan. Delicious!