Monday, February 21, 2011

And Now You Are Three.

My Dear Kaitlin,

Your birthday has come and gone, the cake has been eaten, the candles blown out (a few times) and now I am left with my 3 year old little girl.  Why, my love, do you insist on growing up?  Wouldn't you like to stay two just a little bit longer?   So that I could soak in your sweetness just a bit more?  You see, I'm not done enjoying all that "two" was for you.  I know the changes that happen this year.  I've seen them unfold twice before.  Every day you inch forward toward four and I wish that we could just slow things down a bit.   

IMG_0790_2

The other night I got home and you were already tucked into bed.  I opened the door so I could put a good night kiss on your cheek and you were still awake.  You greeted me with a tired but oh so happy, "Mommy!"  My heart could have just melted into a puddle on the floor at the way you said the word.

IMG_3173

Even if I had spent every minute of the last three years holding you, playing with you and absorbing all that you are ~ I would still have this sense of bitter-sweetness, as I have loved (nearly) every moment.  Aware of this fleeting time, since you were born I have spent hours rocking you in your nursery, first cradled in my arms, and then snuggled into my chest with your legs around my waist, and now with your head on my shoulder, knees bent underneath of you to accommodate your ever growing legs, and some day ~ all too soon ~ you'll be too big.  But let's not talk about that.  In the mean time, you'll find me every afternoon, clocking more time with you in the rocking chair.

IMG_2747

And loving every minute of it.  It's our alone time together, when I can sing to you, rub noses with you, snuggle and kiss your cheek and tell you how much I love you.  Occasionally, you'll take my face in your two little hands and touch my nose to yours.

IMG_2745

You have changed so much this year.  You have gone from barely not a baby anymore to a little girl.  You know your alphabet, many letter sounds, you can recite nearly the whole Lord's Prayer, you sleep in a "big girl" bed.  Pre-school is right around the corner for you, and you are ready.  I know you will love it.  Well, that is if we can ever convince you to give up the diapers.  :(  You are so not co-operating with potty training.  We'll get there.  We have 5 months to get it done.

One night you took my baby bedding out of the linen closet. My Dad selected it when Mom was in the hospital after having me. They have a photo of me when I came home from the hospital laying on this blanket. I planned on doing the same with you, but wasn't able to because of my back surgery. But I seized the moment when you had it out, and while it wasn't what I had originally pictured, you were happy to lay in it and I took a photo of you. You were also acting like a baby at the time. :)

IMG_0181

You love all things girly.  You love pink, dolls, princesses,  twirly dresses, bows and dress up.   You love to change your doll's clothes and are partial to the ballerina dress.

IMG_0842_2

You like to have a bow in and if it comes out, you'll say "Oh no, my bow!" 
And bring it to me to put it back on.

IMG_0837_2

You love pretending to be some sort of a cross between a cat and a dog so we call you a "Puppy-cat."  As you'll pant like a dog and then meow and lick your paw like a kitty.  It's so funny. You also will take a drink and spit it out onto the table or in a bowl and lick it up like a kitty. This is not allowed. But I did take your photo one day when you did it because it is so you right now.

IMG_9981_2

We still call you "Kitti."  Andrew's nickname for you has just stuck.  But I sat in front of the pre-school application and debated the "Name your child goes by" line for quite some time.  At home, you are mostly called, "Kitti."  Do we want you to be known by that?  Probably not.  It'll probably always be your family name, but after discussing with Dan, we decided on "Katie."  It sounds very close to what we call you at home and is a name we also use.

IMG_0015_2

You love to color. The pink and purple markers are finally being put to use in our house.

You speak quite well but still say the cutest things.  One of my favorites is that you call Matthew, "Maffrew."  I wish you'd never stop.  It makes me smile every time I hear it.

IMG_0830_2

You are starting to emulate Andrew a lot.  (For better or worse). :)  The two of you are pals and I love to hear and watch you play together.  He is so sweet to you.  Although he has taken to teasing you lately.  But being a big brother is so good for him, and the two of you are close.  However, if Matthew is home he tends to play with Matthew and then you become my helper.  "I help with you, Mama."  Is what you'll often say.

IMG_0736

Matthew loves you, but now that you are communicating more he gets frustrated that the things that you say are not 100% accurate.  You are teaching him how to give the gift of grace, however painful that lesson is at times. :)  But he looks after your well being.  I'll see him make sure you're not doing something that can cause you to get hurt and he'll talk to you in a sweet high pitched voice ~ it's cute.

You love to sing, and will sing to yourself as you play.  It is SO cute.  This is one of my favorite things about you.  One of the songs that you sing is "Return to Pooh Corner" a song I've sang to each of you as babies...But you don't know the correct words and have made up some of your own and your Daddy and I always exchange smiles when you sing this and it just makes your Daddy's eyes twinkle.

IMG_2825_2

You love pretend play.  While I'd really prefer to have your kitchen upstairs I know you wouldn't use it as much because you like to be with me.  So we keep it in the kitchen where your high chair used to be.  You love to play here while I am cooking.  It works out great.

IMG_2677

You have an imaginary horse named "Diamond." 
We think Claire introduced you to that name.  :)

Your most favorite thing to do though is to dress up.  Every day you are transformed into a regal princess or a dancing twirling ballerina.  You love to dress up and spin and twirl until you are dizzy and stumbling around.  And I'm happy to stop what I'm doing and be your audience.

IMG_9895

You are such a picky eater.  We are 3 for 3.  (I have only myself to blame for this trait though).  I think you have been our most challenging.  One day you tasted some jam and said, "That's yummy!"  Then you tasted some peanutbutter and said, "That's good!"  Daddy then made you a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich.  You took a bite and said, "I no like it."  Par for the course.

You are starting to put up personal boundaries and not allow everyone in your space like you used to.   While I know this is good and healthy and I'm glad for it in some respects, I do miss that sweet smiley girl that would greet and charm everyone.  A stranger complimented your shoes the other day and you hid your face and said, "You not my friend."  You are starting to distinguish between friend and stranger. 

You are still a very confident and self assured child. 
It's my goal to do everything I can to see to it that doesn't change.

You are a relatively easy child to parent.  For the most part, you follow rules and do as we ask.   You do get fussy and will cry when you don't get your way especially in the afternoon when you're tired, but you're easily calmed or distracted.  You aren't a difficult child to discipline, and I'm hoping you stay that way.  You seem to want to please us and get upset if we're not happy with something you've done.  You're pretty easy to reason with considering your age.

Your Daddy will call and meow on the answering machine like a kitty for you.  When you hear it you will shriek and run to the machine.  You LOVE it.

Your Daddy is so sweet to you and takes you to the store that has the really "pretty" big dresses for sale to pass the time when I'm shopping.  You love that. You will point and say, "I want to wear that one....I want to wear that one..."  :)

DSCN0901

You have a sweet tooth.  Just like your mama.

You still love to snuggle and cuddle.  I am so glad.  I can snuggle your cheek with mine and you don't pull away.  You love to be held, and one of my favorite sentences to hear is, "I want you, Mama."  That means that you want me to sit and hold you for a while.  Then all is right in your little world again.

You are a good sleeper, but are not much of a napper anymore.  You are good about staying in your bed, but only nap maybe twice a week.  The rest of the days you spend your time singing, yelling random nonsense :) and playing in your bed.  Then when I walk in to get you, you'll cheerfully exclaim, "I woke up!!!" even if you haven't slept a wink.


IMG_0469_2

You are often doing and saying funny things.  One day,  Andrew went to use the bathroom and then laid down on the sofa. You had been waiting on him to finish so that he would play with you.  Not having seen him leave the bathroom, I heard you go into the bathroom yourself and then yell into the toilet, "Andrew! Andrew!"

Silence. Then very matter of factly,

"Oh, no. He fell into the bafroom." :)

(Perhaps this explains your potty training fears). 

IMG_9428

This past year has held big things for you.  You transitioned out of your crib (very easily).  You no longer eat your meals perched in your high chair.  You have joined us at the table, which is wonderful as we are able to hold your little hand as we bless the food, and hear your sweet voice chime in with a prayer from time to time.

IMG_9800

I know this year holds many changes to come, and while I feel nostalgic for the time that has past, I truly do delight in your growth.  As the days pass on it is fun to see more of you revealed to me...to get glimpses of what your personality might hold.  I celebrate that you are healthy and growing and changing every day, just as you should.  I truly would not have it any other way.

IMG_2282

You are my joy.

You make my heart light.

I adore you, my sweet.

Love,
Mommy

From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.
~ John 1:16 from NIV

3 comments:

Jo said...

Oh, the tears in my eyes from such true love :)

Such a beautiful letter to sweet Katie! She will SO appreciate these written memories when she is older. It is a lovely gift from mother to daughter.

You are an amazing mommy Kathy ~
Jo

Jeannie said...

This is so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. Kitti will treasure these words when she is my age. You are giving your children a wonderful gift of words and love.

Kristen said...

What a beautiful post! I know she'll love reading this someday - when she's grown and on her own - she'll know exactly how much her mommy adored you. She is so lucky to have you as a mother!

K