Monday, January 10, 2011

Opinions, Please!

IMG_9736

So.

See the lamp on the cabinet? I LOVE that lamp. I bought it for our living room. It's perfect for our living room. (Ignore the cellophane still on the shade).

The problem?

No where to put it.

The place I had envisioned does not have an available outlet.

Major bummer.

I'm now trying to find a place for my beautiful lamp.

It's too formal for our family room.

So I tried it on our entry cabinet.

It's too big, isn't it?

Dan thought perhaps if we took the picture down off the wall it would be better.

IMG_9732

I think he's just trying to find an excuse to get rid of that picture.

That's okay. I'm not in love with it either. It's hanging there until I have something I love to hang there.

He suggested a little grouping of photos there.

A grouping? I asked.

Yes, a grouping. You know, of photos that you take.

Hmmmmmm.....dunno about that either.

More indecision.

Please ignore the other temporary little lamp on the floor. I don't like that one either.

IMG_9731

Here's the larger area, so you can get the idea. I thought maybe if I put the lamp opposite the stairwell, then maybe it would balance a little.

Didn't work.

And see the stuff on the stairs? I stack things that have to go upstairs there and take an armful every time I go up the stairs. It's convenient but then we also look like slobs when someone comes to the door. :)

So anyway, go ahead and tell me the lamp is too big so I can come to terms with it and probably return it.

And if you are familiar with my home, and have a suggestion of somewhere else that I can put that lamp, please do tell.

And to my friends who are shy about commenting, you don't have to leave a comment, you can email me too.

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

Kathy, I think the shade is too short for the lamp. With a taller shade, I think the lamp would be in balance with the stair outline. Just a thought.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Jeannie! My mom is going to be so triumphant over your comment. She thought the lamp needed a larger shade as well and the salesperson talked me out of it.

That's a good suggestion.

Kristen said...

I like the idea of a larger (taller shade) as well. And a grouping of the children - perhaps some of the black and white ones you had in your Christmas card - would look lovely above it.

I especially like the picture of your dad - I have a few of my dad in a special place in our den as well - I like feeling like he's close by and watching us. :)

Kristen said...

Also - I'm taking it there's no way to run an extention cord to where you want to place the lamp - along baseboards under the carpet and/or under furniture? I'm famous for making Deonne pull up carpet to run cords here and there for my redecorating needs....

Jeannie said...

Kathy,

It looks to me that what's missing is a brass fire pole, like they used to have in the two story fire houses.

Your kids would think you were the absolutely coolest mom in the entire world, and calling them to come downstairs would cease being any kind of a battle.

Carl

Kathy said...

Ha! Carl, the boys in our family would love to have you on the design board for our home. :)