Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

IMG_6853

We had a really nice Thanksgiving.  
We've had Thanksgiving at our house for enough years that it feels pretty easy to prepare for now.  
It's nice to have a routine established.  
This year I was feeling quite full of myself for having things together and so I boldly went to a movie with Dan the night before Thanksgiving.  
I was making a Triple Chocolate Pecan pie and put it into the oven before I left.  
I asked Mom to take it out when the timer went off.  
She did.  
But in my haste I neglected to turn down the oven from when I had made the pie crust...
so it burned.

IMG_6794

The pie in the front would be the new pie that I made Thanksgiving morning. 
The pie in back would be my "humble pie." 

IMG_6832

Everything else turned out great and we were so appreciative of the lovely fruit tray that my mother in law put together.  
How gorgeous is this?

IMG_6860

My brother and sister in law always come through 
with a fantastic spread of appetizers that serve as lunch. 
These are just a few.

IMG_6862

Dan's brother David (who came in from Las Vegas) made his great marinated olives which I was really looking forward to and they didn't disappoint. 
Here are Dan and David....

IMG_6846

And of course, Mom was a huge help with the meal. 
Mom makes the pumpkin pie, the sweet potatoes, the stuffing (which is SO good), 
roasts the turkey and makes the apple crack. 
I do the table decor, brine the turkey 
(I tried the Pioneer woman's brine this year it was great!), 
and I makethe mashed potatoes, the gravy, the rolls and a pecan pie. 
It works out well.

We started the morning with the parade. Which is tradition. 
I love the parade. 
Here is Kaitlin in an outfit that she put together before we got her dressed. 
She was watching the parade and doing a little bit of a dance.

IMG_6753

I particularly love the skirt on backward, the 2 different shoes 
and the flower in the middle of her forehead.

Here is her transformation after we got her ready. 
Dan took this photo. She cooperated for him!

IMG_6799

I tried to take one later, and she wasn't so cooperative, 
but I love her sweet little face in this one.

IMG_6818

She hasn't been napping well and has been a disaster lately. 
At least, I think it's her lack of sleep. 
It could be that she's approaching three. 
For now, I'm going to choose to believe it's sleep. 
Surely a good nap will take care of everything! :)  
On Thanksgiving it was day 3 of no nap 
(she just stands in her crib or stands on her head in her crib--seriously).  
We sat down for dinner and the fact that the mashed potatoes 
were not whipping cream put her right over the edge.  
It was more than she could handle.
She ended up watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while we enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner.
After 3 kids, I've learned when to pick a battle.

And just a few scenes from the day. 
Dan's parents....

IMG_6892

Dan and Mike....

IMG_6864

Dan's brother David....

IMG_6884

Mama and the Bug....

IMG_6858

We really missed Michelle's parents who had to cancel due to the weather. We missed you Dale and Glenda! But we certainly understood and will look forward to seeing you at Christmas!

I printed out a couple of Thanksgiving fill in the blank stories that were sort of like "Mad Libs" that we did while we sat around the table. Matthew and Isaiah really had fun with that. 

The cousins had a great time playing.  They spent most of their time in the play room.
I didn't force a "cousin picture."
I'm saving that request for Christmas.

After dinner the kids decorated gingerbread houses. Isaiah and Matthew especially had fun with this and I don't think we heard a peep out of Kaitlin who sat for probably a half hour just piling icing and candy on two little cookies. She was so pleased!

IMG_6964

Thank you, everyone for all that you contributed to make the day so nice!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Hi Kathy,

You photos show an absolutely beautiful Thanksgiving. The food all look delicious! And, I love that you include the reality of the day as well... the overcooked pie, Kaitlin watching Mickey instead of dining with the family, Kaitlin's disappointment with the potatoes... it's all these little things that are so important to record for future entertainment.

By the way, I am thankful for YOU and our friendship that has last for all these years! :)