Friday, October 15, 2010

A Date Night!

IMG_4233 

Matthew has been missing time with me since he has started being at school all day.  I've really missed him too.  Today was a "fill the cup day."  I started volunteering in his classroom today.  I love doing that.  After school we went to see the late matinee of "The Secretariat."

Can I just pause here and say, $8.00 for a child matinee?  Seriously?!

Anyway, the movie was great.  Matthew really liked it too.  After the movie we went to Red Robin for dinner.  It was fun to get to sit and visit with him about school and play Tic Tac Toe.  He was really talkative.  He sweetly suggested that I do a special day for each Andrew and Kaitlin as well so that they would be happy too.  I couldn't help but to think how much I love this age.  Seven is just a great age.  It's fun to get to go out and enjoy his company.  I really, really hope we always enjoy and look forward to our time together.  I am told that this will stop....that thought just breaks my heart and I'm choosing to pretend that we will be the exception and that he'll always want to spend time with me like this.  Please support my denial on this topic.  Thank you.  :)

After dinner we went to Borders and looked at books for an hour.  Matthew LOVES the bookstore.  I think he'd stay there all day if I let him.  It is usually where we go for our dates together and he's been asking to go for a while.  He chose a book of science experiments.  Which I thought was great, and honestly (I'm a horrible mother for admitting this) also dreaded it a little at the same time as I pictured myself searching for bottles of glass and plastic just the right size, sheets of clear plastic, colored tissue paper, bottles of ink, corks, piles of garbage that would have otherwise been recycled but now sitting on the counter waiting for an "experiment"....you get the idea.....But I really am happy that he is so interested in science.  He told me tonight it's his favorite thing to learn about in school.

When we returned home Kaitlin and Andrew were asleep in their beds.  Matthew got himself ready for bed and I went in a while later to tell him good-night.  When I went in he whispered that he had laid down next to sleeping Andrew in his bed for a little bit because he missed him.

And that comment sweetly ended our fun night out together.  (Andrew and Kaitlin had a fun night home with Daddy as well).


We have a very full weekend ahead.  I'm really looking forward to the pumpkin patch on Sunday which is always so much fun.  I can't wait to watch the kids enjoying the activies, the cider doughnuts, the beautiful farm market....it's one of my favorite days of the year.   I'll check back in on the other side.

Have a wonderful weekend!

PS. I haven't forgotten about the coffee cake recipe! :)

3 comments:

Shans said...

What a fun night away with your special little boy!! I hope you guys have a WONDERFUL time at the Pumpkin Patch - hard not to :) Looking forward to seeing photos - which reminds me I still haven't finished my Pumpkin Patch posts :)

Jo said...

What a wonderful evening with Matthew. I really want to see that movie ~ can I borrow Andrew for an afternoon? I can't speak for others but I can tell you that to date, my son still looks forward to and even plans date nights with his mom. I always look forward to these evenings and the opportunity to just talk and catch up with Nicholas.

Jo

Rachel said...

Heartwarming! Good for you for being so intentional with your time. . . I need to go on a date with Samuel (all my kids, really, but him especially). Thanks for the inspiration - and kick in the pants!