Saturday, September 11, 2010

Soccer Season Begins!

IMG_3188

I know he's mine so I'm completely biased, but how cute is Matthew in his little soccer uniform? He was smiling at Dan who was giving him Kudos for a great save that he made as goalie today during his first soccer game. Go Cannonballs! (The name the kids chose for themselves.) :)

I have to say, I had so much fun watching the kids play--I didn't sit down in my chair the whole game! I was so excited watching the game. I'm not a huge sports fanatic so I am really surprised to learn it's completely different when you're watching your child play. I just wanted so badly for them to make a goal!

IMG_3186

We did however, loose. I overheard one of the the opposing players say, "This is easy!" Matthew's team did score a goal. And they are a sweet, sweet group of boys--I sort of think that's the problem! They aren't a real aggressive lot. :) I was never aggressive enough for sports like soccer or basketball so I've been curious to see how Matthew does with it.

IMG_3159

And he did great and made a LOT of really good saves as goalie until he took a good hit to the face with the ball....Then he needed some comfort....

IMG_3205

And I learned that when you're a boy and you're playing a sport and you get hurt, you prefer to receive comfort from Daddy.

That was new territory for me.

I backed off and gave them their boy space. But it was a little hard....

I learn new things about being a mom every day.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Sports have become SO competitive for the little guys ~ sometimes even more so on the sidelines with the parents. Matthew looks so grown up in his uniform. I think goalie is the most stressful position for a parent :) Learning to lose is so hard but it’s a valuable life lesson.

I grew up with soccer ~ my father was the head varsity coach of the high school and worked with the MSU team. My brother played from a young age all the way through college and is now on a men's league. My father once asked if I wanted to play on the girl’s team. My response went something like ... running around a grass field chasing a ball and getting sweaty just doesn't do it for me dad. I stayed on the swim team and was very successful.

Jo

Kathy said...

I wasn't much for soccer either. I remember running toward the ball and if I saw someone from the opposing team that looked like they'd get there first I'd just think, "No thanks, you can have it." :) I wasn't interested in getting kicked.

But it's sure fun to watch--and such great exercise for the kids! I know what you mean though--the parents sometimes take the fun out of the sports now. I'm enjoying this stage while its all about having fun.