Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of First Grade!

I'm going to preface this by saying, this is a long post. It's a big milestone and I want to really remember this day. And thanks to Shannon who emailed me the cute sign last night.

IMG_2980_2

The big day arrived today.

Matthew started first grade!

IMG_2982_2

It was a rainy, gloomy sort of day--sort of the way I was feeling inside. (It's hard for this Mama to let go). But I tried to be all sunny and cheery on the outside.

Matthew was calmly excited. Does that make sense? It's the big boy form of excited. Cool. But happy.

We took our traditional front porch family photos...

IMG_3002_2

I wasn't the only one who was a little melancholy today. Someone else struggled a little too...

IMG_3022_2

IMG_3017

And then the whole family went to school and walked Matthew into school.

Our new tradition...

IMG_3023_2

"Fox Rocks!" :)

This was taken outside Matthew's classroom.

IMG_3027_2

We headed out to the playground. There were lots of other parents and it was fun to see the happy reunions on the playground.

Andrew immediately ran and played with the big kids just as if he were one of them. (He'll do so great next year). It was sweet to see Matthew helping him on the playground.

IMG_3030_2

Kaitlin watched the big girls and was mesmerized.

IMG_3029_2

Matthew took the day in stride. Confident. Optimistic. Happy. Not a worry.

I spent the morning with a lump in my throat.

I didn't call anyone or take a call until noon because I knew if I did I would cry.

I drowned my sorrows in a pumpkin spice latte. (It did help).

But I have to admit, it was harder than I thought it would be. Seven years ago I struggled to get used to having this little boy around who cried all the time. I loved him deeply but it was a tough transition. Now it's going to be hard to get used to NOT having him around all the time. I sort of grew to really like him. Not just love him, but like him. His company, his stories...But he's happy at first grade and I couldn't be happier for him.

IMG_2997

And I'm excited for him and the growth he will achieve this year.

Parenting is just full of bitter sweetness.

The bummer part? Kaitlin's nap will be disturbed each day as we leave for pick up (no bus anymore due to budget cuts). And the pick up line--wow. That's a problem. We'll leave that to the school to sort out.

But I was so happy to have my little man delivered to the car. I gave him his space and waited until dinner before Dan and I really asked a lot about his day.

His report:

He really likes his teacher. (I've heard good things about her!)

His favorite thing: 3 Recesses!

Dan and I each wrote a note to him and put it in his lunch box. He told us that he got our notes and he really liked them. He smiled a sweet smile when he shared this with us.

He said he felt like the day went really fast. Which is a great sign that he is ready for first grade. Music to my ears. (Wish I were ready....) :)

He doesn't have a lot of friends in his class (but I think it's a great opportunity for him to get to know more people and he isn't worried about it either). He does have the same recess schedule as his friend Stephen though. That was great news.

They have recess with just first graders and Kindergartners (also great news to me).

He said, "The only punishment is to sit quietly at your desk. We don't have to put our head down or anything like in Kindergarten. It's just a tiny punishment." To which Andrew said, "Did you make a bad choice?"

Matthew replied, "No."

Andrew spun around and looked at me with wide eyes and said, "HOLY COW!" He's so funny. Clearly Andrew thinks it's REALLY hard to not make a bad choice! :) Bless his heart.

We finished the day with these special treats to celebrate. We'll be enjoying them again tomorrow after Andrew's first day. I found the recipe on this website. It's a great resource.

IMG_3041_2

The bottom cupcake is supposed to look like it has a bite out of it.

And now, there's lots to do to prepare for First Day #2. And sort through all of the papers that came home with First Day #1. Let the paper chase begin!

Happy First Day of First Grade, Matthew.

We couldn't be more proud of you!

4 comments:

Jo said...

Yeah for the first day!

Love the photo of Dan looking on while holding Kaitlin ~ he's got that Papa Bear look to him.

I'm a little disappointed that no one made me a tasty first day treat ~ so cute!

Once again, I had to giggle over your clothing for the weather. I wore a sleeveless linen dress yesterday as it was 88 and humid here in CT :)

It's is wonderful when you "like" your children. I completely understand and appreciate that emotion.

Good luck with round two ~
Jo

Kathy said...

Thanks Jo!

I know, the weather here is just plain miserable! We set another rain record yesterday. It's going to be a long winter. Wish we could catch some of your sunshine. Until then, I'm left with my Vitamin D supplement. :)

Take care!
K.

JulieM said...

What a sweet post. Isn't it crazy how fast they grow and how different it feels when they are at school all day! I miss my little ones too but it makes it easier when they love school! The cupcakes look yummy! I will have to bookmark those for a after school treat!

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at Matthew, and oh my gosh, he really does have his Grandpapa's ears. It is only fitting since they had such a special relationship.