Sunday, September 5, 2010

Black Butte Ranch

IMG_2692

A friend of Dan's invited us to their vacation home for the weekend to Black Butte Ranch. We didn't have any plans for Labor Day other than getting ready to head back to school, and so we accepted their generous offer. It was beautiful.

Trees all around, miles and miles of biking trails, a golf course, a Lodge, volleyball, play grounds, swimming pools, a soccer field, bike rentals, horseback riding...so many fun family activities.

IMG_2751

We arrived on Friday in time for dinner and then spent Saturday playing. We took the kids to a playground and then we played some golf.

IMG_2822

Dan gave Andrew some lessons....

IMG_2810

I couldn't help but to think of my Dad as I laid my golf club down in front of Matthew's toes to show him how to line himself up with the hole like my Dad did for me.

IMG_2802

He did really great during our little Family putting competition. He usually came in only one or two strokes behind me and Dan.

Even the Bug had fun playing with her pink ball and hockey style swing.

IMG_2832

This was the view right behind the putting practice area. It was so peaceful.

IMG_2848

The kids' favorite part was raking the sand trap.

IMG_2888

We rented a Surrey (with the fringe on top!) and I am here to tell you, they are a lot harder to pedal than they look!

IMG_2896

We were a sight in that thing. It was pretty funny. Then we retired to the Lodge for ice cream.

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures during this weekend. We played a lot of games and enjoyed seeing a new part of Oregon.

IMG_2757

Occasionally I'll share a story with a friend about something I've written about on the blog. And while I try to really record our life as it is there are of course things I don't share and I'll say this is "behind the blog." So the "behind the blog" story on this weekend is that I was a total stress case because the trip was sort of spontaneous and I didn't know the couple very well. The husband is Dan's friend, their children are grown. And they were so kind and gracious but I was completely worried about the kids' behavior the entire time. (Not because they aren't good kids--it's just how I am).

I don't think the couple knew that I was stressed. I think I've perfected my facade. A Mom at Baseball remarked one day to me that my kids are so well behaved and I'm always so "calm" with the children.

I was as surprised as if she told me my hair was green.

After 7 years of parenting I still don't know all the right things to do, I still question myself, I still feel flustered at times, but it's good to know I've at least achieved the ability to fake it.

So I enjoyed the weekend but behind my "calm" exterior I was totally stressed. I just didn't feel like this post was very authentic without that admission.
So while we had a fun time, and I'm so grateful that we got to go to this beautiful place, get to know a very nice couple better, and have a last "hurrah" before school starts....

It's nice to be home.

2 comments:

Shans said...

It looks beautiful!!! I am glad you had a nice time and the kids and Dan got to enjoy it even if it there was stress behind it for mom...that is what mom's do best and you are a WONDERFUL mom!!! Can't wait to hear more and catch up when I get home. Miss you!!

Jo said...

I think most mom's feel the same way {at least I always did}. I'm sure your friends enjoyed having the children around ~ the energy and life that they provide. What fun to enjoy one last family outing before the school year begins.

Jo