Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hapy 12th Anniversary!

IMG_5982
As I am typing this post "Father of the Bride" is on tv. When Dan and I were engaged I watched this movie probably 100 times. I loved it. It's still one of my favorites. I love the original version too.

And 12 years later, here we are!

IMG_5986

Over the last 12 years we've had a lot of joys, a lot of challenges, some sorrows--we've experienced life. When I look back at how young we look when we got married (at 24 yrs--we started dating when we were 20) in a way, I feel like we grew up together too.

I'm just really grateful to be married to a man that is committed to being the best Dad and Father that he can be. I'm especially grateful for his strong faith and how he really anchors our home and our family.

IMG_5273

We've been attending a marriage class at our church for the last 5 weeks. They have child care there, and we go downstairs to the fellowship hall where there are tables for 2 with candlelight scattered around the room. We enjoy a (surprisingly delicious!) dinner that is served to us while we visit, then our class starts which is done over DVD with little break outs during which time you only talk with your own spouse about the topics discussed. It's been a fun and interesting process. It's a treat to have this meal each week alone with Dan. And it's been fun to learn even more about each other and how we can be better spouses. It's 2 1/2 hours each Sunday night, and while there are nights when we're tired and we wish we could just have a quiet evening at home, after it's over I'm always glad that we went. I'm grateful that Dan is willing to attend these things and continue to prioritize our marriage.

Because our anniversary falls on Mother's Day, Dan and I went out to dinner tonight to celebrate. Just a simple dinner at a Thai restaurant in the very small and quaint downtown of our little town. Nothing fancy. (After our trip, I just felt like doing something easy). Then we drove through the Dairy Queen drive through and got dipped ice cream cones and sat in the car and talked a little more. It doesn't matter what we do or where we go, I'm just happy to have time alone with Dan to talk and be together. That's the best.

Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart!

I love you!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Happy Anniversary Kathy and Dan! I love the photo of you two, in Disneyland perhaps? The first photo won't download for me... it's been awhile and still nothing. I'm guessing it's one from your wedding day. Happy Day to you two!!!

Diane said...

I stand corrected... first photo is there and it's just as adorable as the second! xo, Diane