Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Eleven!

matthew vert

My Dear Matthew,

I started these letters to you your first year of life.  First monthly, and now annually, and it's one of the things I'm so glad that I did.  It's a joy to watch you grow and see unexpected developments and changes in you through the years.

 matthew horiz

You have evolved so much through the years.  The person you are today is the person I would have predicted in some ways based on who you were as a small child.  You are still a rule follower, you still want to please your parents, you are still very curious and throw yourself headfirst into your interests and immerse yourself in them (currently, it's your rainbow loom creations).

 matthew fb-15

However, there are things that have surprised me as well and I never would have predicted.  The biggest thing is your sense of humor.  You are funny and you love to laugh and make other people laugh.  This has gotten you in a bit of trouble at school with respect to when you should be engaging in your humor.

 matthew fb-8

We had a challenging year at school with you this year.  School has always come very easily for you, and this year the expectations/requirements were greatly raised.  Your work ethic wasn't up to the challenge.  You are an extremely hard worker when it comes to your passions.  If it's something you aren't interested in, or is repetitious (math facts/writing) it is a challenge to make you put forth your best effort.  You just "don't see the point."  One of my favorite quotes from you, when you were learning fractions..."I don't see the point of learning fractions.  Unless I'm working in a pizzaria, it's completely useless."

 matthew fb-16

You have done well in school, but not as well as you could.  Your Dad & I have had to really push you this year and you haven't liked that.  But you have too many gifts for me to allow you to settle for mediocrity, so we will continue to be working on this in 5th grade.

 matthew fb-11

You are still playing baseball and really like it.

 matthew fb-6

You didn't make the AAA team this year with your classmates.  Instead, you played down in the AA with kids significantly younger than you, and while that was disappointing for you at first, you had a really good attitude and I was very proud of the character you showed through that process.

 matthew fb-10

While you aren't naturally gifted at baseball, you are gifted at running, which was a fun thing we learned about you this year.  You ran your first 5K and without training or being involved in conditioning sports you finished in the 24 minute range (I don't remember your exact seconds) but it was an impressive finish (especially compared to your mom!)

 matthew fb-5

You are very responsible and helpful to me around the house.  You are a kind big brother to Andrew and often help him (and me) with getting his things gathered for school.  This is probably the most frustrating part of my day and you often step in to make this easier.  And while Andrew needs to learn to do this on his own (and I know he will) I appreciate that you help with this when I am pressured for time.

matthew fb-34

You are also very helpful when it comes to chores.  Just getting right to work, working hard and quickly to get things don't without complaining (other than about the fact that your siblings don't help as much...which is true!  We're working on it, sweetheart and in the meantime, I'm grateful for your help and effort).

 matthew fb

Your friends are important to you.  Your best school friends are Bridger, Stephen & William.

 matthew kitti2-2

 matthew kitti2-3

However, you still are a great playmate to Andrew who still adores you and currently resents your Rainbow Loom for distracting your attention away from him. :)  The two of you get along so well.

 matthew march

You have moments of bickering, like all brothers, but you are more often getting in trouble for being silly when we need you to be calming down or quiet, and I think that's a great problem to have.

 matthew fb-19

 I love to hear you talking in your room at night and in the morning.  Your relationship is what I hoped it would be when Andrew was born.

matthew fb-32

You relate less to Kitti at this age, because of the spread in your age and the fact that you have few interests in common.  But this continues to improve as well and she loves you so much.  This is something that I continue to nurture with you and thankfully, you listen when I talk with you about it and put forth an effort.  You just require reminders.  :)

 matthew kitti

When I asked you what your favorite 10 year old memory was, you said, "When we went to Disneyland."

matthew fb-21

I love that you don't take yourself so seriously that you won't wear a mickey shirt.  I loved seeing that you still delighted in seeing the characters.

 matthew fb-20

That you would allow yourself to experience the magic of Disneyland.

 matthew fb-17

 matthew fb-18

matthew fb-24

 matthew fb-23

This year especially, I have seen you thinking more and more about others without prompting.  I have also watched you continue growing in your faith and maturity.  One of my favorite examples from the year happened after you listened to a sermon on "idol worship" ~ putting other things in front of God.

matthew fb-12

You came home from school one day and told me about how when you play a particular ball game at school and you get a popular boy "out" all of this followers come after you.  You said to me,
"I just want to tell them, 'popularity doesn't even matter after High School, so who cares!' and 'Listen to Pastor Fitz's sermon ~ don't worship idols!!'"  I loved your 4th grade application of the sermon and your wisdom that popularity does NOT matter.  I hope you are able to maintain that wise perspective through middle school and high school.

matthew fb-29

I'm very proud of the little boy that you are, Matthew.  You are polite and kind.  Your teacher said that you are "very sweet and helpful."

 matthew fb-30

You are fun to be around.  You make me laugh.  I love spending time with you.

 matthew fb-31

 I love talking with you.  And I love your freckles. 

 matthew fb-9

You are easy to parent because you have a strong sense of right/wrong and want to do the right thing.

 matthew fb-33

You don't like being in trouble.  For the most part, you make parenting look easy.

 matthew fb-2

You are a joy, and I'm so very thankful to be your Mom.  I love this age with you and could freeze you right where you are and just soak it in for a few years if I could.

 matthew kitti2

All my love,
Mama

 matthew bday

No comments: